A&H

First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

micky2001

How do you dress for games? I usually wear a shirt and the association tie with black trousers until I meet the managers at which point I change into my kit.

I know some referees who turn up in jeans ant shirt but I don't think it makes a good impression.

The Referee Store
It depends where you are refereeing. For a few years I always turned up in a suit and tie, wherever I was refereeing but then changed that.

Saturday afternoon Supply - suit and tie
Saturday afternoon league - suit and tie
Sunday morning - tracksuit and kit underneath
County FA games - suit and tie*
Academy games - suit and tie
Semi finals and Finals - suit and tie

*except for junior games in which case it is tracksuit unless semi final or final

Local cup game or a welsh league game is a shirt and tie. Any other local game is casual (sometimes track suit, sometimes jeans).

It depends where you are refereeing. For a few years I always turned up in a suit and tie, wherever I was refereeing but then changed that.

Saturday afternoon Supply - suit and tie
Saturday afternoon league - suit and tie
Sunday morning - tracksuit and kit underneath
County FA games - suit and tie*
Academy games - suit and tie
Semi finals and Finals - suit and tie

*except for junior games in which case it is tracksuit unless semi final or final

Completely agree with Brian here, but would make one change. "Saturday Afternoon League" - not all leagues require suit and tie. Down in my neck of the woods, we would certainly wear suit and tie on some leagues (incl. of course the supply league), for example the county league, but a local district league? No. No other referees will either. It completely depends on the level of the league and whether everyone else does Micky!

The only time I'll wear a suit is for cup finals, other than that I just arrive in my kit. I can count on one hand the times that changing facilities have been available to me, although that may change when I start to ref OA next season.

i usually strike a balance for league games, going for smart jeans or chinos with a polo shirt. i want to look professional but turning up in a shirt and tie in my league would make people think i'm a d!ckhead.

Funnily enough, English people have the same issue when going to Wales, Rich :rolleyes:

i'm sure that's a joke, but your xenophobia is slightly unnecessary and sets a bad example to the board's many younger members.

i've edited out my second comment to protect those of an over-sensitive nature, not wishing to add more fuel to the fire as it were, but perhaps somebody can explain how my first comment could possibly be regarded as xenophobic

xenophobia
Line breaks: xeno|pho¦bia
Pronunciation: /zɛnəˈfəʊbɪə /
NOUN
[MASS NOUN]
  • Intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries

I took it in the manner it was intended. Little bit of banter. No harm no foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back