A&H

Junior/Youth First match - and first question!

JonA

Hello everyone. First post following my first match today. U14s. A decent match, especially considering the weather and a pitch that got increasingly wet. Overall, I felt it went very well and there were only two incidents of note.
The first was the away team not arriving until 28 minutes after the scheduled kick-off time. The league rules states it's the referee's discretion whether to play if the team hasn't arrived within 30 minutes of ko. I allowed them a brief warm-up and then we got started. The league rules state they want late arrivals reported - my question is how to do that - would it be via a misconduct / extraordinary report on the WGS?
The second incident - sod's law for my first game - it was 1-0 to the home team and into added on time at the end of the second half, when I ruled out a potential equalising goal for the away team due to offside. It was a clear offside and I am very comfortable with my decision. A number of the away team approached me shouting and complaining but stopped when I told them to zip it - bad language was reported by the home team but I didn't hear any. I decided not to take any action for dissent and instead took the approach of calming the situation down. Their coach didn't appear to have a problem with the decision when I spoke to him post-game - I told him it was a clear offside. I think I handled the situation pretty well but will reflect on whether I should have taken action for dissent.
Overall, it was enjoyable. Looking forward to the next one. As a side note, it's been useful reading a number of the discussions on these forums prior to my first match - lots of great tips and advice, so thank you to regular posters!

The Referee Store
Well done in completing your first middle, and thinking about your performance.
How to report the late arrival should be in competition rules, but if not pass details to the Competition Secretary and Referees Appointments Secretary and seek their guidance on the league's preferred reporting method for lateness.
Re the disallowed "goal" dissent, it sounds like disappointment and heat of the moment stuff, so no caution really needed. Important not to stand still, whistle, call "offside in the middle" (or whatever) and move to the halfway line ready for the free kick arriving there.

1: Report to League Secretary - if you gave a copy of the competition rules, they'll be in there.

2: Give, go, get on.

Congrats on match one - many more to come.

Back