A&H

First match - food for thought :)

By not being specific you gain some wriggle room- there will always be some smart Alec who hears your 6 minutes left and sets there expectations by it- saying last 10 or about 5 left gives you options.

I am more than confident to handle time and stoppages, I just don't force myself down a cul-de-sac.

The Referee Store
On the 10 yard (9.15 metre) distance, definitely learn what is right for you by practicing and measuring.

I'm shocked how many people are saying 9 paces are enough for them ... how long are your legs?? :wow: I'm 6ft tall and a full stride is 80cms for me, so I need 11 strides plus a bit. I saw this tested at a training session once, and most people were only pacing around 7 metres instead of 9.15.

The 10 yard distance is an interesting one.

When I first started, I used to take 11 steps, which equates to 10 yards in terms of my stride length. This created problems though because players always moaned about the distance being too big. Now I take 9 steps followed by a big stride at the end, exactly the same distance but no complaints from players! :hmmm:

A good way to P1ss off a moaning team is to mark our 12 paces, (especially if they are audibly counting). It will look like 12 yards to them i'm sure, even if its not!!!

I just use the reply "the law says 10 yards, not 10 paces".

I agree it's easier to get players to accept 10 paces, but I'd pull a muscle if I tried to get the correct distance doing that!

On the 10 yard (9.15 metre) distance, definitely learn what is right for you by practicing and measuring.

I'm shocked how many people are saying 9 paces are enough for them ... how long are your legs?? :wow: I'm 6ft tall and a full stride is 80cms for me, so I need 11 strides plus a bit. I saw this tested at a training session once, and most people were only pacing around 7 metres instead of 9.15.
I'm over 6'3" and the last of my 9 paces is a long one. And I'm a lanky streak of breakfast.

If you are too specific it can lead to issues with time added on. Again bitter experience teaches these lessons

this has just reminded me... i need find out how to turn the alarm off on my watch.... it goes off with 30 seconds left on the countdown. Hasnt been a problem up to date, as i will generally make a joke of it when a player appeals that times up on hearing it. But i can envisage a scenario whereby, its a close game, alarm goes, irate players shouting and screaming ... not worth the aggro, so thats my task for today !

this has just reminded me... i need find out how to turn the alarm off on my watch.... it goes off with 30 seconds left on the countdown. Hasnt been a problem up to date, as i will generally make a joke of it when a player appeals that times up on hearing it. But i can envisage a scenario whereby, its a close game, alarm goes, irate players shouting and screaming ... not worth the aggro, so thats my task for today !
Ha... I always make sure I step away from a crowd of players when the FT vibrate is going to go off!

Still don't agree on rounding the remaining time. And I will stick with announcing additional time at the crest of the 90. That's what you get on telly. I think it's fair. And easy to comprehend.

Hi all.
1. Offsides - having no ARs, I was unable to give offsides (unless it was blatant - I gave one in the second half). I did try to explain this (to the home team mainly), but I wonder how you guys cope not having any ARs? Looking back, I wonder (just judging from what I could hear between the players), if the away side were playing up to this, and looked to take advantage of me not being able to give offsides?

2. Communication. The ball goes out for throw/corner. Do you whistle, or vocalise your decisions e.g. 'red throw', or just signal with arms? How do you achieve consistency with communication?

3. Again not having an AR, how do you manage judging if ball goes out of play or not? I think, on reflection, my positioning could have been better (i.e. closer?).

4. 'How much time left, ref?' - surprised how often I heard this, at the end of each half :)

5. Only after awarding a free kick within shooting distance, did I then become aware that I did not know how to measure the required 10 yards - cue much hilarity :)

6. I did show one red for a dangerous tackle, but unlike the yellows I did not stop to get the player's name - correct? If so, how do I get the name?

Rich.

1) You should always be allocated a linesman even if it is a club assigned one. Its tough to call unless obvious and if you don't have one, attackers will always try and use that to their advantage. End of the day, its the clubs fault if they don't provide one, they can't blame you for that.

2) If its obvious who has the throw in I just give an arm signal. If its not obvious (a close deflection etc), arm signal and a shout 'red ball etc). If the ball has only just gone out of play with the player thinking they've kept it in and try to play on, then i'll give a whistle as well.

3) Just get as close as you can. If you can't see if, don't give it.

4) That, 'in the back ref' and 'Handball' will be a common theme in matches you referee, and they are the most annoying. 9 times out of 10, they are incorrect

5) Just take 10 steps. It'll be tough to get it spot on everytime but if the players count your steps, they wont argue if you've done 10.

6) Red or yellow, always take the name beforehand. If you haven't for whatever reason, at least take the number and refer to your teamsheet or ask their manager who they are.

Good luck with your future games! :)

5) Just take 10 steps. It'll be tough to get it spot on everytime but if the players count your steps, they wont argue if you've done 10.

if you are around the penalty area, dont count those steps out loud as you may want to throw in an extra one, or one less, if your tenth is going to be on the edge of the PA. Try and get it so the player(s) are either a clear step inside or outside so you're not umming and ahhing over whether any potential offence committed is a penalty or a FK

if you are around the penalty area, dont count those steps out loud as you may want to throw in an extra one, or one less, if your tenth is going to be on the edge of the PA. Try and get it so the player(s) are either a clear step inside or outside so you're not umming and ahhing over whether any potential offence committed is a penalty or a FK

Just done my course and that was one of the key things they said. Very helpful I Find.[/QUOTE]

1) You should always be allocated a linesman even if it is a club assigned one. Its tough to call unless obvious and if you don't have one, attackers will always try and use that to their advantage. End of the day, its the clubs fault if they don't provide one, they can't blame you for that.

3) Just get as close as you can. If you can't see if, don't give it.

Just a quick note on these two.

1) Some leagues will not have club assistant referees. The Saturday league I do in London tells clubs and referees not to use club assistants, as they often cause more trouble than they are worth. So don't assume that you're entitled to one, check with your league how it normally works.

3) I'd agree with 'if you can't see it, don't give it' but the key to spotting ball in and out of play (and offside without assistants) is to be wider, not closer. You can be 5 yards away from play but if you're stood facing the touchline you'll find it really difficult to tell when the ball is fully out of play. Try it out before the game and you'll realise the ball looks miles out when looking square on but can still be on the field of play. Conversely, you can be 25 yards behind play (as in following a winger up the touchline, for example) and you'll have a much more credible position. So think wider, not closer.

Back