A&H

First match - General advice

JudgeDreadful

Hi all, I recently completed the FA referee course and now my first match is this coming weekend. It's an U11 boys game. I've refereed lots of games already but for U10's where they do not play offside and things are a bit more relaxed. Just wanted a bit of advice on general things like how seriously to enforce some rules such as the back pass rule and handballs. Up to now I've let goalkeepers get away with picking up a back pass but with a warning that if they repeat it will be a free kick and generally it doesn't happen again. Most handballs I've come across at this age are not deliberate so I've let a lot go (unless of an obvious clear advantage denied) but again should I be a bit more stricter with these? Finally, on the match sheet do you just record the goal times and any disciplinary matters. Any need to document anything else. Thanks.

The Referee Store
I don't think you'll notice much difference between u10 and U11.

They key at this age is that it's fun and learning is an important part. With that in mind, I'd be penalising back pass as it is a technical offence (although subjective whether the pass was intentional). You can explain the reasons why it's IDFK and what that means etc.

I did U12 on Sat am. I had a back pass and penalised. Explained why, how a goal could and couldn't be scored.

I also gave two "unnofficial" yellows for verbal distraction as a learning moment. One ran alongside another player making fart noises in their ear! 😂

I explained it was a mandatory caution and it was a bad habit to get into for when you play real matches.

Handballs... that's mostly subjective. Use your common sense, at that age you can justify most things as self defence or real intent. Just do your best to keep consistent.

Admin varies from league to league. They should be able to specify if you need to do it or the teams. My youth league are only starting with team sheets to refs this season. It was just coaches before.

Finally, have fun and ignore the parents. The kids do!

Last edited:
I'll also add that proactive refereeing is really helpful for back pass. If you tell the keeper that they can't pick up because of it being a back pass then that might save confusion. You can clarify the law with the keeper at a break in play if they don't know the law.

I don't think you'll notice much difference between u10 and U11.

They key at this age is that it's fun and learning is an important part. With that in mind, I'd be penalising back pass as it is a technical offence (although subjective whether the pass was intentional). You can explain the reasons why it's IDFK and what that means etc.

I did U12 on Sat am. I had a back pass and penalised. Explained why, how a goal could and couldn't be scored.

I also gave two "unnofficial" yellows for verbal distraction as a learning moment. One ran alongside another player making fart noises in their ear! 😂

I explained it was a mandatory caution and it was a bad habit to get into for when you play real matches.

Handballs... that's mostly subjective. Use your common sense, at that age you can justify most things as self defence or real intent. Just do your best to keep consistent.

Admin varies from league to league. They should be able to specify if you need to do it or the teams. My youth league are only starting with team sheets to refs this season. It was just coaches before.

Finally, have fun and ignore the parents. The kids do!
Thanks for your reply! Just one other thing. I'm hoping not to be issuing any cards but are they common at this age group? All the games I've done so far have not come close to needing a card. However at a summer U10 tournament the other week, embarrassingly my own son deliberately handballed on the line and stopped a certain goal (Full on Luis Suarez effort!). The ref took no disciplinary action and just awarded a penalty which thankfully was scored. At U11 age is it appropriate to apply the full letter of the law and red card a player for this ? I'm think I'm probably overthinking things too much to be honest, just got all these scenarios running through my head like I don't want to ruin anyone's afternoon with a red card !

I'll also add that proactive refereeing is really helpful for back pass. If you tell the keeper that they can't pick up because of it being a back pass then that might save confusion. You can clarify the law with the keeper at a break in play if they don't know the law.
That's good advice. Thank you for replying !

Thanks for your reply! Just one other thing. I'm hoping not to be issuing any cards but are they common at this age group? All the games I've done so far have not come close to needing a card. However at a summer U10 tournament the other week, embarrassingly my own son deliberately handballed on the line and stopped a certain goal (Full on Luis Suarez effort!). The ref took no disciplinary action and just awarded a penalty which thankfully was scored. At U11 age is it appropriate to apply the full letter of the law and red card a player for this ? I'm think I'm probably overthinking things too much to be honest, just got all these scenarios running through my head like I don't want to ruin anyone's afternoon with a red card !
Not really, unless a child lashes out or something the best port of call is to suggest the manager sub them along with an explanation to them that whatever they did would usually be a red (as a learning experience).

No, cards are not common at all. I only did it because it was a PSF and did it as a learning point. It was the sort of behaviour they might repeat so thought it would be a good learning opportunity.

At younger age groups it is about learning and enjoying, so I personally flex my tolerance and the LotG application to match. As they get older you start to converge more and more with the true definition. I generally find that by the time you are at U14 it's full application. I certainly have no qualms with issuing cards at that age group.

I generally find that by the time you are at U14 it's full application. I certainly have no qualms with issuing cards at that age group.
I think once they start playing 11v11 at U13 things become more serious. Once they’re comfortable playing full side games, I find that cards seem to swiftly follow.

Teenage boys, particularly around 13-15 seem to be much more aggressive than anyone else and have an unfathomable urge to fight each other all the time. I’ve had many more violent conduct sending offs at U13-U15 than in any other age range, including open age.

Teenage boys, particularly around 13-15 seem to be much more aggressive than anyone else and have an unfathomable urge to fight each other all the time.
Definitely! I watched an U15 game last season with no ref, so the coach stepped in. It all kicked off second half and for me there was at least 3 VC red cards...

With u10 being development football - I would struggle to find a reason to use a red or even yellow card, for red cards I would at worst ask the manager to just take the player off, maybe even make a sub, it’s all about enjoyment after all.

U11 up, I feel, is different. I think for obvious cases such as a punch or a deliberate handball on the line a red card is suitable - or again even ask the manager to take the player but don’t actually show the red.

I don’t think you should get too much into not applying the proper laws as you can open yourself up for criticism and inconsistency, especially in ‘competitive football’ u11 upwards. I would be penalising deliberate backpasses at this age group.

Back