A&H

Open Age First Open Age

KieranG1505

Level 4 Referee
I'll be officiating my first Open-Age game on the 30th July, it's a charity event and it's between two rival teams. I'm 16 and have officiated a lot of youth football. I am looking for some tips and advice that anyone would be willing to give me in preparation for this fixture.

The Referee Store
Are both teams affiliated? If not, check that the game has been sanctioned. If it hasn't been sanctioned, ask them to get it sanctioned (which should be for free for a charity game), or don't do it. Otherwise treat it like any other game. I watched a memorial game a couple of weekends ago, and there was a lot of alcohol consumed by players beforehand, so be aware of that - might I suggest a pre-season trial of blue cards to prevent having to dismiss players during a charity game...

Are both teams affiliated? If not, check that the game has been sanctioned. If it hasn't been sanctioned, ask them to get it sanctioned (which should be for free for a charity game), or don't do it. Otherwise treat it like any other game. I watched a memorial game a couple of weekends ago, and there was a lot of alcohol consumed by players beforehand, so be aware of that - might I suggest a pre-season trial of blue cards to prevent having to dismiss players during a charity game...

Both teams are affiliated and the game was issued to me by my Referee Development Officer, which I assume would meant that the game has been sanctioned.

Back