A&H

First (two) red cards

alexgr

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
So, been a while coming, but had to issue my first two red cards in the same game this weekend - U15.

Red #1: Attacking player #11 is legally shielding the ball and lays it off to a teammate. Meanwhile, in frustration, the defending player who was held up from getting the ball turns round a couple of seconds later and kicks attacking player #11 on his knee when the ball is halfway down the wing. Textbook violent conduct.

Red #2: Ball is in the air, two players are legally challenging for it, defensive player loses out whilst the ball is bouncing, turns round, and spikes his opponent with his studs just below the knee. Again, textbook violent conduct.

Mass confrontation later came out of nowhere - will be a fun report to write. My issue is that one of the coaches (who claimed "I'm a ref!") said he would only have given both of them a "talking to" - if he's letting players get away with these, no wonder they think it's acceptable. The age old excuse 'but you see it in the PL every week ref!' was also thrown out. Will sleep easy tonight, no doubt about it.

The Referee Store
Red2 sounds like Serious Foul Play not VC - careful in your report.

Thought it might have been, thanks for that. Ball was in the air at the time and the player's leg movement was clearly not an attempt to play the ball so thought it was VC at the time but now the more I think, it sounds more like SFP. Thanks!

So, been a while coming, but had to issue my first two red cards in the same game this weekend - U15.

Red #1: Attacking player #11 is legally shielding the ball and lays it off to a teammate. Meanwhile, in frustration, the defending player who was held up from getting the ball turns round a couple of seconds later and kicks attacking player #11 on his knee when the ball is halfway down the wing. Textbook violent conduct.

Red #2: Ball is in the air, two players are legally challenging for it, defensive player loses out whilst the ball is bouncing, turns round, and spikes his opponent with his studs just below the knee. Again, textbook violent conduct.

Mass confrontation later came out of nowhere - will be a fun report to write. My issue is that one of the coaches (who claimed "I'm a ref!") said he would only have given both of them a "talking to" - if he's letting players get away with these, no wonder they think it's acceptable. The age old excuse 'but you see it in the PL every week ref!' was also thrown out. Will sleep easy tonight, no doubt about it.
Both reds sound good, coach would go to in my book. Mabye look at having a word with your RDO to get him looked at if he ignores violent conduct.

Was the mass confrontation after the two reds? If so, you'd have to expect it at that stage. I wouldn't say it's come out of nowhere.

Also, I hope you'll be reporting the manager as well. I'm sure your local FA would love to know why one of their referees disagrees with your application of law.

Was the mass confrontation after the two reds? If so, you'd have to expect it at that stage. I wouldn't say it's come out of nowhere.

Also, I hope you'll be reporting the manager as well. I'm sure your local FA would love to know why one of their referees disagrees with your application of law.

Came a good half an hour after the reds from an innocent throw in, just seemed to be completely unlinked to anything so caught me off guard more than anything.

Think I will take that advice too, can't be justified if any ref deems VC to be a talking to at any age. Accused me of being over-officiative, and killing the game because of the players' reactions - how about you teach your players not to kick other players and then I won't have to make those decisions?!

Back