A&H

Fitness requirements

Danny

Hi folks,

Just wondered why people consider the need to be fitness wise.

Through some health issues for my son and lots of time in hospital I gained a fair amount of weight. However I run a kids football team so stoll active. long distance running is a no go though ha ha.

Im wanting to pick up the pace with matches I am refereeing but don't want to look out of place when on the field.

I'd be interested to know if any big referees out there, as I'm currently in the 17sts and I have seen a few myself, but how do you keep up if on the larger side?

The Referee Store
Without sounding like a bit of a tit, in the ideal world I think you probably need to be at least as fit as the players, or to keep up with play.

In the real world, only you know how fit you need to be to keep up with your matches. I know refs in their 70s who are no where near fast enough to keep up with the players, but have the experience to anticipate play and ensure they're always in a good position.

If you want to improve your fitness I'd suggest starting off slowly, I believe the couch to 5k programme on the runners world website is quite good.

If you can afford it seeing a personal trainer is also worth the money

Even a low level Sunday morning game needs you to do a lot of running if you want to be credible, I'll generally run 8.5 to 10km depending on the game.

You do see referees who are nowhere decisions that they make, I saw one the other night who didn't once leave the centre circle, so it really depends how good and probably more importantly how credible you want to be. If you're happy giving decisions from 30 or 40 yards away then you don't need to be that fit at all, and there is a very obvious argument to say that even a referee standing still and not moving at all is better than having no referee. But equally you are going to struggle to get the respect of the players giving decisions from that far away, and the closer you are the more likely the decision is to be accepted.

I appreciate that feed back guys, like I said in my original post. im relatively fit despite my size. Im confident that I can keep up with play of the U12-15 years.

More curious as to where others are at. I will look at couch to 5k. Also interested in other match related fitness that can be done say in the gym etc.

Thanks

size doesn't equal fitness all the time bud ... I'm currently sitting in the mid 16 stones and I can go for 30-40 minutes on the treadmill. obviously being slimmer DOES help manoeuvrability though and the quick stop turn and go moments in refereeing ...

to be honest, in the gym I am currently sticking too (bearing in mind I only started up 2 weeks back) a 6km cycle (about 10 minutes) I then go and do weights, mainly upper body as im quite strong already in the lower body area - then back out for a 25-30 minute treadmill exercise (about 3-4km) back on the bike for a final 4/5km cycle and then into the pool/sauna/jacuzzi for a couple of lengths just to sooth the body a little.

its enough to build up a sweat, feel out of breath etc - maybe try that out and as the exercise becomes 'easier' up it in an area?

unfortiunatly match fitness can only come from ... a match lol

Back