A&H

fitness test thoughts

SM

The avuncular one
While undertaking a fitness test this morning, amongst our number was a gentleman who was incredible worried before we started. It seemed the first part of the test had taken quite a bit out of him and the stamina part was looming and he looked concerned.

A few of us had done the test before, the others were young and had no worries over fitness and then there was the worried chap. The group quickly settled into roles, I have done this test several times and went out front with another veteran setting the pace required to get us all in within the required time, the rest positioned themselves around the fella who was concerned. He was breathing very heavily from the first lap, but with encouragement and support, he got around like a champ, even though he looked like he might die at the end. :) Maximum respect to that man.

For all of those who fly off in fitness tests, looking to show off... remember, refereeing much like football in general is all about team work lads.

The Referee Store
In both my fitness tests I have flown off... but thats my pace, not me showing off. I have in both instances caught up to the man at tail end and run with them for the remainder helping them find the required pace as I think lapping people could be considered as showing off.

It isn't a case of showing off, at least not always. I always go off fast for the first couple of laps, my theory being I would much rather get some distance in the bank early on to that I run out of energy I have a buffer. Like James I've then tried to help those lagging at the back to get over the line by running with them rather than lap them.

Some prefer to time it out exactly so that they get to the required distance on 12 minutes, each to their own. Those that want to pace it exactly should have repeatedly practised to know their pace, and shouldn't be caught out trying to catch up with the uber fit 21 year old who has gone off like a bat out of hell ..!

The joys of different fitness tests! The fifa test gives you no benefit from haring off as your not allowed to start the next section until the time for the last sections has fully elapsed. :)

what an awesome story of teamwork and togetherness ... no more than what I would have done - all for one, and one for all!

Back