A&H

Football Boots with removable studs

Reuben Watt

Good afternoon!
Does any one have astro boots which you can add studs on to? If you do, where do you get them from and what are they called!

The Referee Store
I've never heard of them Reuben. You can wear moldies on 3/4g pitches but I wouldn't advise wearing them on the sand-like astro turfs. Best to have different sets for each surface if I'm honest

i think these new 4g pitches you are made to wear proper boots rather than trainers ... i did a game last week and wanted to wear trainers as its kinder to my knee(s) but i was told in no uncertain terms that if i didnt wear moulds then i couldnt do the game.
I've not heard of a multi purpose shoe like you're referring to though in any case @Reuben Watt

i think these new 4g pitches you are made to wear proper boots rather than trainers ... i did a game last week and wanted to wear trainers as its kinder to my knee(s) but i was told in no uncertain terms that if i didnt wear moulds then i couldnt do the game.
I've not heard of a multi purpose shoe like you're referring to though in any case @Reuben Watt

Pretty odd Richard, I've been using off road running shoes and trainers for many years on all artificial pitches for quite some time. Not worn a football boot for more than seven or eight years on any sort of surface.

Pretty odd Richard, I've been using off road running shoes and trainers for many years on all artificial pitches for quite some time. Not worn a football boot for more than seven or eight years on any sort of surface.
Do you not referee in winter or on a wet pitch? I can't imagine not wearing boots

who was stopping you from wearing them? and why?

who was stopping you from wearing them? and why?
The people that own the facility? Most of the 3gs here are on college Grounds, they tell us what we can and can't wear

to answer @Mintyref and @pankaye , it was a council owned 4G pitch , and there was a council groundsman there. He told both myself and the away team manager that we couldnt wear trainers.
He was very insistent and in fact hung around most of the game to make sure we complied. Fortunately i always keep a pair of boots in the car. The manager had to stand on the sidelines during the warm up / half time.
The school that my boys attend also have a 4G pitch and eldest twin received an hours detention for walking around on it in his school shoes.

I wear dimples on 3/4g pitches and on most grass pitches when the weather is wetter and pitches heavier I switch to mouldies never had a problem.

Most of the grounds with newer 3G pitches are very particular about what footwear you can and cannot wear, one local club has even gone to the extent of buying a number of pairs of boots for parents acting as Assistants to wear....

I had a cup final at the Gallagher Stadium in Maidstone which is 4G.

The instructions from the league were very specific. You couldn't wear normal boots. You could wear moods or blades providing the studs etc were shorter than 11mm. You could also wear Astro turf trainers, but you could not wear flat soles such as trainers etc.

to answer @Mintyref and @pankaye , it was a council owned 4G pitch , and there was a council groundsman there. He told both myself and the away team manager that we couldnt wear trainers.
He was very insistent and in fact hung around most of the game to make sure we complied. Fortunately i always keep a pair of boots in the car. The manager had to stand on the sidelines during the warm up / half time.
The school that my boys attend also have a 4G pitch and eldest twin received an hours detention for walking around on it in his school shoes.

whats the big deal with flat sole shoes on them pitches? surely they will cause less damage to the pitch

whats the big deal with flat sole shoes on them pitches? surely they will cause less damage to the pitch
unfortunately the people issuing the instructions havent seen fit to ask that question themselves.... their answer was/is that they dont know, theyve just been told to keep people off

The fibres in artificial grass have low surface tension so that water isn't absorbed / retained. (I'm a scientist!) This makes the individual fibres slippery, so that flat soled shoes don't have any grip on the surface., They would squash the surface and you'd skate across the top with no control, especially if the fibres were wet. The only way to give grip on this type of surface is to greatly increase the surface area or to put something on the bottom to pass through the fibres in the same way as studs do on mud. The owners / manufacturers don't want people injuring themselves or others and potentially being sued for damages because they didn't tell users what footwear is safe. I found the attached on a website for a rugby club that plays on a 4G pitch.

"Do NOT wear boots with metal studs or metal blades. These will damage the surface.

Also, boots with plastic blades are shown to increase the risk of knee and lower leg injury when used on a 4G surface.

The Best footwear is rubber or plastic moulded studded boots.

Dimple soled 'astro turf' trainers are acceptable

Flat soled trainers are not recommended. They will compress the pile and increase the risk of injury to you."

I was on a brand new 4G a few weeks back and yes agree trainers and hockey boots not allowed, but astros and studs are

On the 4g pitch I reffed on no metal studs and no blades. I can't remember about trainers now as it happened a couple of months ago. But when I was appointed to the game it was part of the pre match notification

Yeah, I've been told this before - I habitually turn up in kit to lower-level matches where I haven't been before, with the exception of wearing trainers to allow me to drive. And like the others, I was stopped from even going on to inspect a 4G pitch in trainers and had to change into my moulded stud boots first.

Back