A&H

Fouls and Misconduct-Cautions and sending Offs.

Matthew Jones

Stopping a Promising Attack
Please can other refs out there explain this law to me? I cannot think of an occasion where this law would apply so any real life examples for this would be appreciated!!!!!

A player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour if he/she
"commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball"

But... in the law changes the law states...

"A player stopping a promising attack in the penalty area will not be cautioned (YC) if the offence was an attempt to play the ball"

So what exactly does this rule mean? I'm confused and to me they contradict each other.

Thanks.

page100image6280
page100image6440

Reactions: J79
The Referee Store
So if the player commits a foul stopping a promising attack outside the area. A caution is given. However if the same occurs inside the penalty area. A penalty is awarded and no yellow

It's trying to stop the cynical nature of some fouls basically when it's outside the area. A well timed trip on the half way line on a player about to release a through ball to an attacking team mate in a 3 on 2 counter attack wouldn't have necessarily Warrented a yellow before (first foul of game by player maybe/minor foul etc) but now it does basically as you take into account the reasoning behind foul. Doesn't apply in penalty area because of double jeopardy ie penalty is now deemed punishment enough no need to double punish player ie yellow and penalty.

Sorry @TopCat thats not right.

This law change is about "double punishment" like the dogso change last year. Having a penalty awarded against you and your team is a big enough punishment for a bad tackle therefore for an obvious goal scoring opportunity or a promising attack in the box you don't get a card BUT that's only if the offending player makes a genuine attempt at the ball. If the offence is for pulling the shirt or just kicking legs/tripping etc than you still need to caution or send off accordingly.

There is no change this year with respect to stopping a promising attack outside the box. This was and still is a caution for unsporting behaviour.

I think we are saying same thing except I don't think double jeopardy is what I thought it was lol...Although where I have said about it not necessarily having been a yellow before outside the area I thought there had recently been more emphasis put on the promising attack scenario hence the OP? May be wrong

That's what I meant - should of said not entirely right. :)

There is no change this year regarding caution for SPA outside the box. Just making SPA in the box in line with DOGSO in the box.

There is an explanation of this in the "Details of all Laws changes" section:
Removal of a caution (YC) for stopping a promising attack when a penalty kick is awarded for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball is consistent with a caution (YC), not a sending-off (RC) if the referee awards a penalty kick for a DOGSO offence which is an attempt to play the ball.
A player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour if he/she "commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball"

But... in the law changes the law states...

"A player stopping a promising attack in the penalty area will not be cautioned (YC) if the offence was an attempt to play the ball"

So what exactly does this rule mean? I'm confused and to me they contradict each other.
I'm not sure why you're seeing a contradiction here. They both say the same thing.

Last edited:
Back