A&H

Fourth official - the woes

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
Fourth official tonight for the second time in a few weeks.

How do you stay entertained?

Personally I just hope the players in the dugout are a bit of a laugh...

And has anyone had to deal with those flaming number boards for sub's? Actual square boards not the electronic one! God I hate those things.

Looking forward to the drink courtesy a la herts fa post match!

The Referee Store
County Cup final I refereed the 4th official had a good laugh as both sets of managers were good fun. He gave up with the boards for subs as it was u13 and all the kids had stupid shirt numbers like 64 and 99!

I've got a county cup final as 4th next monday... Any tips?? I'll be smuggling haribo and starburst I think

As a 4th official, that normally makes you the reserve referee. Almost certainly you won't be called in - but you might be. So as you're watching the game you need to be actively considering what's going on. What players have been spoken to, both publicly and 'on the side', and why. What players are causing problems, who is dissenting and how. So if you have to take over, you know exactly what's going on. 4th official should also constantly be scanning the field to watch what players are doing, so if the other 3 officials miss something, the 4th official can raise it. Beyond that, how much work you have will depend largely on how the dugouts are behaving - and different games will allow you to respond differently. Sometimes the 4th official can make a big difference in how much dissent is coming from the dugouts.
Aside from the tip some use of offering the lippy manager a mint, I personally think it would be unprofessional for the 4th official to be sitting there popping lollies.

Back