A&H

Free kick positioning - deep left wing

SM

The avuncular one
okay, my positioning at free kicks is generally good but for some reason I always feel a little uncomfortable when there is a free kick deep on the left wing (but inside attacking half) - this is with NARs I should add.

The players will generally line up to the right side on the edge of the box for the cross. I will generally stand centrally/just to the left slightly forward of the free kick, with an angle to my body to allow watching the free kick being taken and watching the players, as soon as the ball is clear of any wall (generally 1 player from that distance) I will get on my bike and push forward and to the left to get an angle on the resulting melee when the ball is inevitably pumped into the mixer. How far forward and left depends on the drop zone. I hope I have painted a mental image which gives some idea of what I mean. I might need to open up ms paint in a minute!!

Is there a better position than that for this type of free kick?

All other free kick positions I am happy with. Been assessed many times and never picked up on free kick positions, but just doesn't feel optimal.

The Referee Store
I tend not to worry to much about it. So long as I can see my assistant/CAR at the point it's taken and am running towards the DZ with hopefully, (as you said) some sort of angle on ay potential fracas/challenge, it's all good. Ninety per cent of the time, the ball is just going to be headed away or booted clear which results in you having to turn back on your heels and leg it the other way anyway..... :D

@SM - Go further right and open your body more so that you can see the taking of the free-kick, but also aware of the DZ. The AR is behind you at this time.
When the ball is in the air, move forward and to your left to get credible viewing of DZ offences. You will also allow the AR nearside to come within your view for Offsides.
Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Back