A&H

Free kicks

72bus

Level 7 Referee
Hi all new here .....Gave free kick today. Wall keep moving forward. As kick was taken they'd move from 10 yards to about 7.
Am I allowed to move the ball another 10 yards forward and retake the kick .
Thanks

The Referee Store
No, you need to caution for encroachment and then have it retaken from the original place. But try to be proactive, if you see them edging forward stop the kick from being taken and get them moved back.

Thanks for your reply , it was a vets game and there are no yellow cards only red for violent conduct
Did this used to be the rule u could move the ball 10 yards forward

Thanks for your reply , it was a vets game and there are no yellow cards only red for violent conduct
Did this used to be the rule u could move the ball 10 yards forward
It never became part of the laws but in 1998, the IFAB authorized the English FA to conduct experiments into doing this in Jersey. The following year, they authorized it to be trialled in some other competitions and on the mainland. The experiment was extended several times and in 2003 the IFAB said they were giving a final one year extension after which a proposal would be brought. There was no adoption of the amendment in 2004 and so the matter was evidently dropped.

Screenshot_2023_0213_124903.png
Screenshot_2023_0213_130532.png

Last edited:
In a game played as per LOTG, if you retake because of wall encroachment you MUST caution. I have seen many new refs retake because a wall player ran in and blocked a ball, but never cautioned the player.

Even though it will not be incorrect in law to caution all players who encroached, it will be a recipe for disaster. Pick one player which you think makes the easiest sell and gives you the best match control.

In a game played as per LOTG, if you retake because of wall encroachment you MUST caution. I have seen many new refs retake because a wall player ran in and blocked a ball, but never cautioned the player.

Even though it will not be incorrect in law to caution all players who encroached, it will be a recipe for disaster. Pick one player which you think makes the easiest sell and gives you the best match control.
I was AR at a game in London many years ago. Away team "wall" were being difficult at home team free kicks, not retreating, shuffling or running forward.
Direct free kick on centre of the arc; referee paced to the penalty mark. "Wall" became difficult again.
Ref moved the ball two yards further back. "OK now, guys?" "Yes, ref" "Stand still" Ref went behind the players in the wall, noted all 5 numbers, showed the yellow card to each, moved the ball back to the arc, and told the "wall" to move back.
Were they happy? No!
Effective? Yes!
Loved it😁

I was AR at a game in London many years ago. Away team "wall" were being difficult at home team free kicks, not retreating, shuffling or running forward.
Direct free kick on centre of the arc; referee paced to the penalty mark. "Wall" became difficult again.
Ref moved the ball two yards further back. "OK now, guys?" "Yes, ref" "Stand still" Ref went behind the players in the wall, noted all 5 numbers, showed the yellow card to each, moved the ball back to the arc, and told the "wall" to move back.
Were they happy? No!
Effective? Yes!
Loved it😁
Loved it? Yes
Would you recommend it to any referee?

Back