A&H

Junior/Youth Friendly club Lino

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Me as a fellow referee don't usually have a moan about a referee but today I make an obsession I was running line when ball was played forward now me being a referee myself this season I have never cheated for my team or anything of the sort the player standing in that position receives the ball but loses it now the referee has not even looked at me for the flag and I am shouting my head off now he shouts play on when quite clearly the team who player was offside still now have the ball now I've kept the flag up and it's when I call him again that he quite rudely tells me to put the flag down now if I was not a referee and I would not been running the line for the club what would of other people done in that situation.

The Referee Store
Think we might need some more context.

Explain the game. Had you given anything controversial previously? Had the referee cover this in his pre match?

so you were CAR, flagged for offside and the ref waved you down?
Same thing as as NAR - nothing you can do. Grit your teeth, drop the flag and get back into position. He'll wear it if anything comes of it. Even if something significant happens - you've already provided your opinion and he didn't want it.

Not a big deal at all.....

I'm a West Midlands referee so my course taught us to allow club linos to do offsides but in my reasoning I'll only wave a club Lino down if it has gone through to the keeper gone out for a goal kick or there is a defianate advantage

If you're a CAR, you're obliged to do what the referee on the day wants to do, even if that's not standard in your area. And he's obliged to be fairly cautious with you - he doesn't know if you're a qualified ref or not and even if you say you are, I think it's smart for a referee to be sceptical.

If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like you've flagged for an offside and he's shouted "play on" to overrule you. You then say that you've continued to flag and call him again, at which point he's firmly told you to put the flag down and get on with the next phase of play?

If that's correct, then I'm on his side to be honest. You're a CAR, he doesn't know you and he disagrees with a decision you've made. That's his right to do in that position and I think you're obliged to go along with it, however wrong you think he might have been. By continuing to flag when he's clearly made a decision that it's not offside, you've damaged his credibility with your team and if I were a referee in that situation, I'd be fairly irritated.

Apologies if that sounds harsh. But as an assistant (club or neutral), your job is to support the referee. He has a right to overrule you and the best thing you can do if that happens is accept it and move on.

I'm a West Midlands referee so my course taught us to allow club linos to do offsides but in my reasoning I'll only wave a club Lino down if it has gone through to the keeper gone out for a goal kick or there is a defianate advantage
That's entirely your choice in terms of how you managed CARs. I do it differently - I've waved down a CAR's flag because I think he's seen the moment of the pass wrong, because I think he's not seen a run from deep, because I think he's been looking the other way, because I think he's well behind play or because I simply trust my judgement from my position better than I trust his from where he is.

Back in my playing days I once saw a referee overrule a Manager who was a CAR on an offside (CARs gave offsides in the town) after I had scored a last minute equaliser in a cup game.

The manager said I wasn't offside the referee said I was. Why is this noteworthy? Why because he was the manager of the other team!

Now probably ten years later and looking at it as a referee I have the following queries as to whether it was the best or worst bit of refereeing I've ever seen. Reasoning below;

It could be the worst piece of refereeing because why would a manager lie to cost his side the game? It wasn't a query in law - just your basic did he set off too early one - and their manager sportingly even argued our case. Why would the referee overrule here? It makes no sense!

Why is it the best refereeing? Well everyone knows a good referee never plays extra time!

Answers on a post card!

Reactions: SM
Me as a fellow referee don't usually have a moan about a referee but today I make an obsession I was running line when ball was played forward now me being a referee myself this season I have never cheated for my team or anything of the sort the player standing in that position receives the ball but loses it now the referee has not even looked at me for the flag and I am shouting my head off now he shouts play on when quite clearly the team who player was offside still now have the ball now I've kept the flag up and it's when I call him again that he quite rudely tells me to put the flag down now if I was not a referee and I would not been running the line for the club what would of other people done in that situation.

Already thought about the fact that the ball might have been played by the defending team, just touched is enough, which puts the attacker onside?

Happens enough that I wave my AR down because I saw that the ball came from the opposing team.

Did he explain it to you afterwards when you returned his flag? or did you ask him?

He had every right to overrule you. He had no right to be rude.
I slightly disagree with this to be honest. It sounds like he overruled the assistant perfectly politely and legitimately - who then "disrespectfully" ignored that overrule and kept insisting. That would get a fairly abrupt reaction from me if I was in the middle to be honest.

Problem with club lines who inform you that they too are a referee are mostly telling lies or at a stretch attended a taster session 10 years ago.
We have a chap locally who tells the young refs he is a level 4. Trouble is we know all the L3,4 & 5'd and he ain't one. It's an attempt to intimidate, so you can see why a ref being told you are a ref will be taken with a large amount scepticism. It is frustrating but it is his gig, lines are the support act

Sounds like the ref acted perfectly fine to me. You flagged for offside and he shouted play on, you then kept flagging and shouting him (while play was going on) so he firmly told you to put the flag down.

Ive had this when acting as a CAR for my girlfriends team, ive flagged someone who was offside only for the ref to wave play on and ive not flagged because the player wasnt offside and the ref has given an offside.

I never tell them im a qualified ref, so i just go with the flow, not worth getting het up about.

Generally if im waving play on ill shout so that 1. People know ive seen the flag, and 2. Why i think the player is onside, for example shes not offside, the ball was played by the defender etc.

@GraemeS I'm afraid I disagree with you if you had of seen the way he had done it you would of agreed with my point of you I'll respect a referee for making a mistake but the way he overruled me yesterday yes I can understand the overrule but Not being rude

This is reason

1. I've put my flag to him that this player is offiside. He has not even looked at me to whistle to acknowledge so I'm now shouting him to get his attention.

2. He then shouts play on to say there's an advantage but there's no advantage now immediately my refereeing experience kicks in to stay firm to say no advantage is gained as blue team still have possession.

3. I now shout again to confirm no advantage and this is when he rudely shouts at me to say put flag down we're playing on.

4. This now leaves me looking like a plonker having to catch up to my second last defender.

Now also when I gave this decision as well the blue team manager who was behind me even agreed that his player was in a offside position and that there was no advantage now I did grit my teeth and got on with it but this referee was not one of the best I had seen the whole of this season and yes myself I probably not had best iver have had best season but when I run the line I don't cheat and even will agree with a referee 100% of the time on a decision that he has given against my team I'll even give advice to referee but on this occasion I felt that this one wouldn't of learned anything

Regardless of the whether we are right or wrong the Referee makes the decisions and the AR supports it/assists - you would want the same in the middle. I have to say - though it sounds like you might be "right" you also appear to be out of line with the role of an AR. I can't imagine having a shouting match with an AR about advantage - it was/is not your call to make. Sorry to say but you would of got the same response from me if I was in the middle and all of this happened.

well he was lucky then that I did grit my teeth if that been any other occasion I'd told him where to go shove the flag and if that been a league game that referee would of lost club marks on his application of law

Back