A&H

Funniest yellow card?

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Whats your funniest story relating to a yellow card?

I once overheard a player mouthing off about me and my performance in not too glowing terms so I called him over.. I showed him a yellow for his dissent and his mate comes over for a nosey not knowing what had gone off, I told him to go away, but he asked his mate what he'd said, so the player repeated it correctly as he'd said it. Player 2 then computes it in his head, and blurts out exactly the same words (at volume) saying 'well you are a ***************' '' and agreeing with player 1... so i carded him too!!! Idiot!!! ;)

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
not sure if this is categorised as funny or sad tbh, but... i was playing in a not particularly poorly contested game, but with about 10 minutes left to play our right back "breaks up an attack", quite rightly deserving of a caution.
Ref calls over someone, and we're all thinking, whats going on? He takes the players name and issues the yellow card. Someone pipes up... ref thats the wrong player there... so he books him too... I pipe up (as captain) but ref, he was only telling you that youve got the wrong fella... " yes captain, you too!... anyone else?"
ended up with 5 cautions for one foul, AND the right back got away with nada !

Odd rather than funny, but I cautioned two players with the same name once.

I took some convincing that 2nd player WAS giving me his correct name!
Haha, I had a "Ricky Lambert", which again, took some convincing.

My favorite though was the occasion where a ball was played down the line. Keeper came out to the touchline and tapped the ball out of play at the side of the pitch. Having taken the ball just out of play, he then realised he was way out of position and the opponent who was closing him down was going to take a quick throw - so he booted the ball over the neighboring fence and into a field.

Came over and accepted his caution with a shrug and a "Had to do it ref", no complaints.

I sent off a Johnny Wilkinson for 2 yellows, did check team sheet after he gave it first time....

Not mine, but I have heard a story many times from a senior colleague about a funny one...

He was about 10 minutes from the end of a game, losing team are 5-0 down he brings a player in for a word after a poor challenge, player clearly frustrated.

As the player gets his warning he pipes up 'ref you've been shocking, you'd best book me now because I'm about to tell you how sh!t you are'.

Ref gets his notebook out and calmly says 'you just have done mate, don't be saying anything else or I'll have to send you off'.

Player looks briefly puzzled, looks at the sky and mutters 'for f*cks sake' :)

not sure if this is categorised as funny or sad tbh, but... i was playing in a not particularly poorly contested game, but with about 10 minutes left to play our right back "breaks up an attack", quite rightly deserving of a caution.
Ref calls over someone, and we're all thinking, whats going on? He takes the players name and issues the yellow card. Someone pipes up... ref thats the wrong player there... so he books him too... I pipe up (as captain) but ref, he was only telling you that youve got the wrong fella... " yes captain, you too!... anyone else?"
ended up with 5 cautions for one foul, AND the right back got away with nada !

Brilliant!! :D

Sounds like this referee had now reached the end of his fuse with you lot Richard. Bet you all deserved it by then - each and every one of you!! ..... ;) :p

Once had a player go in and completely miss the ball and caught the player full on (not excessive just incredibly clumsy)

He was generally good as gold and had a good sense of humour. He saw me with my notebook and yellow out ready to ask his name. He took the yellow off me and showed it to himself before saying 'you know my name mate, sorry about that, that was shocking'

Was a good friendly game and caused quite the laugh!

On a wet and muddy pitch this past winter I penalised a player for hand ball. He objected a bit too vociferously even when I pointed out the large, muddy mark on the lower part of his white sleeve. Several chuckles from both sets of players as he was cautioned!

Back