A&H

Junior/Youth General Questions...

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
How do,

So today I replied to an email from my RDO asking trainee officials if they were available for a game on Saturday between the U15 girl squads of two football league teams.

For my sins I have been given the middle for this match, and I just have a couple of general questions:

1 - This is only my third match, and my first youth game and first girls game. I know that I need to approach this in a different manner to how I'll be approaching my OA game on Sunday, but does anyone have any tips on officiating this type of game?

At the moment I'm thinking to approach it with an open mind, and let how the game/players go in the first 10-15 minutes decide how I officate (obviously I'd speak to children in a different manner than I would a hairy 40 year old).

2 - This is my first game with NARs (both of whom are also trainee refs, so I imagine it'll be a first for all of us). What sort of things should I be briefing them on before the match? I was thinking something along the lines of to see how I officate at the start so that they can try and judge my tolerance levels, to call me over if they're getting grief from players/spectators/the benches, is there anything else?

3 - Finally, this might seem silly, but how should I dress when turning up for a match like this? For normal park game I turn up in a clean smart(ish) tracksuit. I was contemplating trousers or smart jeans and a shirt/polo shirt for Saturday, but not sure if I'd be over dressed.

Also, if you have any other advice then that'd be great too.

The Referee Store
Ring the RDO for advice on the last point. There may be catering afterwards if the ladies teams are FL supported.

Have a look on the assisting part of the forum, there is lots of food advice already there. It will be a training match for the girls, which may be easier. Ensure that they are comfortable about offsides and its interpretation.

Treat all matches the same, they are not looking for special measures just a confident and competent referee. Most important is enjoy.

Black pants and referees polo would be the minimum, I'd think. Jeans really starts looking too casual (though I used to be happy to wear jeans / shorts and flip-flops - yes, it's that warm in winter down here!)

Back