A&H

Goal!! or maybe not

Anubis

RefChat Addict
Read the articles on bbc re Man Uttd v Reading ladies, before watching the clip.
Was reading, nodding head, yes, glt is a huge help etc
Then, realised there was highlights available so had a look,
Cant see the AR position in the clip but if the AR is where she should be, for me, glt is not needed, the AR should be calling goal all day long..

difficult one for a ref operating alone

Attachments

• 7808937B-627F-429B-9D80-7E04F912BC22.png
    7808937B-627F-429B-9D80-7E04F912BC22.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 47
The Referee Store
Agree, not a "all day long" call. You only flag a goal if you are reasonably certain. This speed and closeness of it can leave enough doubt not to flag. It would be a much worse scenario if the AR did flag and GLT shows a few mm of overlap with the line.

Edit: just seen the replay. Lead up play from a few seconds earlier indicated the AR was on the way to where she is supposed to be. In that case she would have also had to deal with the blind spot created by the post been in the line of vision. Easier from the camera angle and freeze frame. I am still not 100% convinced it wholly crossed the line. Seeing green grass between ball and line can be deceiving because of camera angle or that frame is frozen at a time the ball is slightly off the ground.

Last edited:
In real time, even the TV pundits admitted they didn’t think it was a goal.
It’s easy to have an opinion with a TV replay, hindsight and a need to create a narrative. AR did her job, making the decision with the tools she had available to her.

I've seen replays of this several times. It's not at all clear to me whether that ball crossed the line and on balance, I don't think it did.

From what I can judge, the freeze frame I've seen shown both on the BBC and the FA Player is a still which captures a moment while the ball is still in the air, just fractionally before it hits the ground. As the clip is unfrozen and the ball hits the ground, I think it hits the line, which means it didn't cross it.

As far as I'm concerned, it's one that I don't think any AR could call with certainty.

I've seen replays of this several times. It's not at all clear to me whether that ball crossed the line and on balance, I don't think it did.

From what I can judge, the freeze frame I've seen shown both on the BBC and the FA Player is a still which captures a moment while the ball is still in the air, just fractionally before it hits the ground. As the clip is unfrozen and the ball hits the ground, I think it hits the line, which means it didn't cross it.

As far as I'm concerned, it's one that I don't think any AR could call with certainty.

Doesn't look to me like the whole of the ball crossed the line either. Certainly not from that still... 👍

Read the articles on bbc re Man Uttd v Reading ladies, before watching the clip.
Was reading, nodding head, yes, glt is a huge help etc
Then, realised there was highlights available so had a look,
Cant see the AR position in the clip but if the AR is where she should be, for me, glt is not needed, the AR should be calling goal all day long..

difficult one for a ref operating alone
I actually hadn't noticed that you'd posted the still I was referring to, before I posted on the thread. That still is exactly the one I'm talking about. It shows the ball while it's still in the air. You can't make an accurate judgement based on that.

The camera angle it's taken from, where you're looking towards the goal line from further up the pitch is also misleading, and will always tend to make the ball look as if it's over the line when it isn't.

Reactions: ARF
I actually hadn't noticed that you'd posted the still I was referring to, before I posted on the thread. That still is exactly the one I'm talking about. It shows the ball while it's still in the air. You can't make an accurate judgement based on that.

The camera angle it's taken from, where you're looking towards the goal line from further up the pitch is also misleading, and will always tend to make the ball look as if it's over the line when it isn't.
Now you are just plagiarising my posts 😊🤪

Watched the WSL highlights - couple of really poor ( I thought) non offside calls, where the 'offsdie' player scored.

Clear line of vision, relatively slow and 'obvious' build up, both 1m plus as well.

Watched the WSL highlights - couple of really poor ( I thought) non offside calls, where the 'offsdie' player scored.

Clear line of vision, relatively slow and 'obvious' build up, both 1m plus as well.
If you are correct (haven't seen the highlights myself) then the officials concerned will be severely marked down in their report. In the WSL, every single decision / non decision by all four officials is evaluated post match by video analysis. The impact on the mark of a particular incorrect decision in part depends on it's importance and in part depends on the difficulty of the decision.

If you are correct (haven't seen the highlights myself) then the officials concerned will be severely marked down in their report. In the WSL, every single decision / non decision by all four officials is evaluated post match by video analysis. The impact on the mark of a particular incorrect decision in part depends on it's importance and in part depends on the difficulty of the decision.
Not the most competitive or large field of referees so will it have much impact if gender is prioritised when appointing?

Not the most competitive or large field of referees so will it have much impact if gender is prioritised when appointing?
Fair comment @bester, the numbers of suitably qualified female officials are definitely more limited. However the panel work across both WSL & WC games so the scope for reallocation of officials within this season both to less 'prestigious' games within the WSL and even into the second tier is pretty significant. Then at the end of the season there will doubtless be some upcoming officials ready to step up if needed.

The NWSL has been having similar "challenges" here in the US. For the past couple of seasons, at least 75% of the centers were female. Of course a couple of those are very good female FIFA referees, but often there was quite a gap to the next level. Well, there was quite a bit of criticism on officials from coaches and media (often on a lack of cards given) and this past month has seen an assigning shift to more men who are on their way up towards USL/MLS.

So it's a tough balance. Female referees won't get better without experience but can you afford to have them go through the growing pains in the top level of female football when male refs go through those growing pains of pro/semi pro football in the National League system?

The NWSL has been having similar "challenges" here in the US. For the past couple of seasons, at least 75% of the centers were female. Of course a couple of those are very good female FIFA referees, but often there was quite a gap to the next level. Well, there was quite a bit of criticism on officials from coaches and media (often on a lack of cards given) and this past month has seen an assigning shift to more men who are on their way up towards USL/MLS.

So it's a tough balance. Female referees won't get better without experience but can you afford to have them go through the growing pains in the top level of female football when male refs go through those growing pains of pro/semi pro football in the National League system?
My experience of working on the line in the WSL last year suggested that the officials in the middle (both male and female) were more than capable of handling that level of football. Obviously there were occasional mistakes and complaints from the clubs but nothing different to what I'd see at my men's games. Especially now that the officials fall under the oversight of PGMOL and the leadership of Bibiana Steinhaus-Webb, I'd feel confident that the growth and development of the officials will keep pace with the growth of the women's game in England

Back