A&H

Goalkeeper offside??

The Referee Store
Well, well, well, this will keep us occupied for a few days.
Obviously very last minute. Clock says 3:55 of 4:00 added time already played (Zulia - blue - needed to win for Copa Libaterdores qualification).
Reports suggest the Zulia GK was dismissed and it looks like he manhandled the AR quite forceably. The referee does brandish a red in his direction, too. My extremely rudimentary Spanish picked up that the commentators "clearly thought the player(s) were offside". My only question is, did the defender #3 get a touch with his head?

Yes, I think the defender gets a touch with his head... but the flick from the attacker is heading towards goal so I think the touch by the defender can only be classed as a "save"... and there are three players offside. You can call the GK offside for become active by interfering with the defending GK's ability to play the ball. Or you can call the goalscorer offside. Or both. GK happens first so I am flagging and giving IFK for that. Good RC too.

Reactions: ASM
@santa sangria I absolutely agree with your assessment of the offside, but I'm not sure I'd call that a "good RC"!

Referee comes running in with his red card held aloft, directed at....who exactly? And although I agree the keepers protests are fairly OTT, there are at least two big pushes on the AR and I'm not convinced the GK did either of them. It looks to me like it's the goalscorer who shoves him in the first place and the smaller shaven-headed coach who gives him the second shove and then seems to get away with it.

Well, takes a few views but how about its a good goal because the defender tried to cushion a header back to his own keeper, Then all the attacking players are all onside.... can't condone the push but I'm questioning the actual initial call!!!

That's a great clip for some coaching body to provide answers on. For me, its offside, maybe 2 red cards to be issued and 3/4 yellows and min of 1 coach dismissed/reported....
However, it would not be a shock if a governing body declared it as onside, when the attacker kicks it forward towards goal, yes, 3 team mates offside, but, none of them are really affecting the defenders header, its not the attackers doing that the defender heads it back the way, had the defender headed that 20 yards away from goal, nobody would expect a flag, as the offside players had not interfered with the defender, nor gained an advantage from being there.
the fact they did gain an advantage is down to the defender. So I can see a goal here too

There is no way that the defender's action here is anything other than an attempted save for me.

Offside.

how about its a good goal because the defender tried to cushion a header back to his own keeper

Valiant attempt at making a case for the attackers, but I'm going with the side of saying it was a reflex save :)

It would be a brave/stupid defender to deliberately attempt that back-pass!

@santa sangria I absolutely agree with your assessment of the offside, but I'm not sure I'd call that a "good RC"!

Referee comes running in with his red card held aloft, directed at....who exactly? And although I agree the keepers protests are fairly OTT, there are at least two big pushes on the AR and I'm not convinced the GK did either of them. It looks to me like it's the goalscorer who shoves him in the first place and the smaller shaven-headed coach who gives him the second shove and then seems to get away with it.
Agreed

Valiant attempt at making a case for the attackers, but I'm going with the side of saying it was a reflex save :)

It would be a brave/stupid defender to deliberately attempt that back-pass!

On that basis, you are saying the attackers have NOT interfered with the defenders actions..cos, if the defender DID know they were there, he would not have made that back pass....

On that basis, you are saying the attackers have NOT interfered with the defenders actions..cos, if the defender DID know they were there, he would not have made that back pass....

Well I don't think it was deliberate attempt at a pass, and either way the attackers haven't made a movement that interferes with the defender. He's tried to get in the way of the original shot to block/save it, nothing else. So, offside.

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage. A ‘save’ is when a player stops a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

thats a save for me... shot on target no? or very close to... offside
good call...

It's got nothing to do with whether the attackers have interfered with the defender (which they clearly haven't, based on the definition of 'interfering with an opponent') it's simply a question of whether it was a deliberate play by him, or a deflection/deliberate save. I'm going with it being either a deflection or a save (take your pick) and therefore offside.
nobody would expect a flag, as the offside players had not interfered with the defender, nor gained an advantage from being there.
If it's a save by the defender (which a large proportion of the contributors so far think it was) or a deflection then they have gained an advantage.
gaining an advantage [means] playing the ball [...] when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent

Last edited:
Back