A&H

Got the ball

Steve Piff

Level 9 Referee
The challenge is hard and fast the player goes down injured. The referee signals that the defender got the ball. When is play considered to bedangerous/wreck less? Is it never if the player gets the ball?

The Referee Store
You can be injured on an entirely fair play.

In terms of reckless or careless, this comes down to foul recognition. As you seem to be a newer match official, I'd suggest talking to your instructor, a mentor, or someone similar about foul recognition and how to spot these differences.

Hi Steve,

Three definitions for you:

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

Just because a player 'gets the ball' doesn't necessarily mean they can escape without disciplinary action. If a player has got the ball, but in an act that meets the reckless or excessive force definition above, they can be cautioned / sent off respectively. Furthermore, a player may injure an opponent during the process of a fair challenge (i.e. it does not meet any of the above definitions, and is not considered an offence under law 12), and thus play continues (unless of course we have a serious injury)

A brief example of someone winning the ball, but receives disciplinary action: A player jumps in with two feet off the ground. He makes contact with the ball first, before going through the player. Yes, the player has won the ball, but he has done so in a manner that has endangered the safety of an opponent, and therefore must be sent off.

TIP: Many referees, including those in the Premier League, have a tendency to point at the ball after what they consider a 'fair challenge'. Avoid doing this (as an observer correctly picked me up on last season) - you are insinuating that if you get the ball it is a fair challenge, but as we discussed above, this is not always the case. Instead, use 'a hands behind your back' or your voice to convey your response appropriately.

Deffo a caution at the very least.
One look at that I would go red.
I got the ball ref the plaintive cry of the player knowing he is going to be booked.
Had one of these on Sunday, followed by you can't book me ref its the last game of the season.
Still did.

Thing is that every situation differs. Sometimes the player might lightly touch the ball but hits more leg than ball. I tend to look at how far the ball actually travels from the point of the tackle. Don't know if it is the best way to determine, but I'm not always in the position to judge extactly how much ball and how much leg was played. If the ball barely moves, and the player goes down screaming, I call a foul.

Last week I had some guy trying to kick the ball away, in the process hits the opponent player very hard on his knee. I mean, he got the ball, a little. It wasn't a full on kick, however it was a full on kick on the knee.

Another example, one lady comes in very reckless from the front, gets the ball first, obviously, then takes the opponent down. I gave a free kick. Barely 10 minutes later, same situation, however this time the defender came in much much more careful and controlled, and thus I played on.

What I had another referee tell me once was that a nice response to: "I got the ball ref!!" would be: "onder andere". Which translates to: Among other things.

Back