A&H

Half length - do your homework!

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Now technically I did do my homework.
I looked online for my games, and got the age group mixed up.
I was refereeing an u15 game today and for some reason I had it noted as an u14.
Normally I confirm with home manager before the game the age group especially early in season (I tend to do the same teams over course of season so know age groups (eventually)). Today I didnt.
Blew for half time at 35, before being corrected and had to bring players back on to play the remaining 5 minutes with a dropped ball.

Does knock confidence a little as teams start to question things.

Set tone for my match, however, with an early yellow for what was the first foul of the game. Borderline reckless into SFP, went with caution.
Similar challenge 20 minutes later earned opposing side a caution and things calmed down a little.
Within 5 minutes of the restart, a straight red for SFP, which I'm surprised didn't break guys legs.
No questions at the end and genuinely got impression of decisions were correct so happy with that. Except my timekeeping. Double double check....

The Referee Store
Oooft, done this exactly the other way round. Played 40 first half, then realised what I'd done. Got away with it just about as we kicked-off a bit earlier (friendly).

But yeah: definitely one for all refs, new and... err... old farts - check competition rules. :p

Depending on your collection of local leagues and choices it gets all kinds of confusing. Especially across boys and girls youth football.

Who goes 7v7 to 9v9 to 11v11 at what age, at which age the ball size changes and then you chuck in half lengths.

Keeps us on our toes!

Depending on your collection of local leagues and choices it gets all kinds of confusing. Especially across boys and girls youth football.

Who goes 7v7 to 9v9 to 11v11 at what age, at which age the ball size changes and then you chuck in half lengths.

Keeps us on our toes!
The FA and many CFA's publish a chart which is very helpful on these points.

My local youth league handbook has this in, but the match durations have a minimum half length and a maximum playing time (which includes extra time for cup games) I make a point of confirming with the managers before the start, at least for the younger age groups.

I bore the brunt of this a little yesterday for what happened the day before. U13 boys played at a different site on Saturday. They played 40 min halves on Saturday, and they should have played 35.

Along with the referee, we confirmed the 35 minute halves. Some of the parents thought 40 the day before was a bit much as well.

I know this is a case of “I can only control what I can control”, but it’s still somewhat frustrating when rules of competition are not followed.

Back