A&H

Hi from a new member but an 'OLD' ref

ponch0v

Hi All from the PNW in the US.
While doing research on a game situation I came across your site and I'm very excited about the wealth of reffing info!! I've enjoyed reading many of the threads.
I am completing my 50th year as a referee and have enjoyed every minute of every game. About 5 years ago I “retired” from all competitive levels and am now doing only local recreation soccer while also mentoring our youth referees. I plan to continue mentoring but will be hanging up the whistle at the end of this year.... so I'd like to wish good luck and all the best to the new refs of all ages on the forum.

Cheers!
Henry

The Referee Store
Welcome :) With 50 years on your side, your expertise won’t go amiss, and you’ll figure out which refs are from your side of the pond!! Enjoy it, and look forward to hearing what you have to say :D

Congratulations on an outstanding lifetime contribution to football. No doubt you have seen a great many changes over your career and have myriad stories to tell. I am only a relatively young referee at 19 but this forum has been invaluable to my development over the past 6 years. Mentors are hugely beneficial for young referees and I am glad to hear that you are continuing your involvement in the game in this way. I still remember my first mentor as a 13 year old (Henry) who also had a near 50 year career and provided me with much wisdom and a sense of calm in that all important first season. Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully your approach will rub off on those referees who contribute hugely to the forum and to refereeing, encouraging them to act as mentors once a month to assist newly qualified referees in their home area. Every area in England is short of mentors, despite the fact that there are around 28,000 registered referees.
Two hours a week once a month is not much to ask.
If @ponch0v and I (with100 years of refereeing experience between us) can do it, anyone can!

Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully your approach will rub off on those referees who contribute hugely to the forum and to refereeing, encouraging them to act as mentors once a month to assist newly qualified referees in their home area. Every area in England is short of mentors, despite the fact that there are around 28,000 registered referees.
Two hours a week once a month is not much to ask.
If @ponch0v and I (with100 years of refereeing experience between us) can do it, anyone can!
On this note, is there a minimum age requirement for mentors? (eg over 18 etc).

Thank you all for the kind words. I have always been a huge proponent of mentoring. I feel that it is a vital part of new referee development and it is the least I/we (as experienced refs) can do to give a new ref the best possible foundation for this new experience. As we all know, officiating this great game can be somewhat challenging at times😉.

Back