A&H

How different is your FK signal from your throw in signal?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
This has started to drive me a little nuts.
In the old laws, and in old tutorial videos, it looks more like we should stand sideways and use a horizontal arm for throw in direction and, for a DFK, stand face on and raise a diagonal arm for direction.

However, what I see, on TV and on pitches, is nearly all refs stand sideways and use the arm just above horizontal for all throw ins and DFKs. And some do an identical gesture for goal kicks.

This particularly irks me as an AR when a ref whistles and points with an above horizontal arm as the ball goes out and players are jostling close to the touchline - I don't know if the ref is signalling for a throw or DFK and if I should be signalling with him/her for the throw direction.

BUT really I just want to know how to do it "right"!

In futsal it is clear - horizontal arm for DFK, diagonal arm for throws. For me it is clear to everyone on the field for it to be the opposite in 11-a-side from futsal (!), so I now avoid any arms just-above-the-horizontal... even though that's what I see on TV...

Help!

The Referee Store
This particularly irks me as an AR when a ref whistles and points with an above horizontal arm as the ball goes out and players are jostling close to the touchline - I don't know if the ref is signalling for a throw or DFK and if I should be signalling with him/her for the throw direction.

Surely the clue will be that he blows his whistle for one and not for the other?

Personally I think my signals for throw-ins and free kicks are very similar, although no one has even said anything about it to me in terms of being a problem.

Use of voice is encouraged here, such as "throw" or "on the ground".

P.S. For FIFA futsal, kick-ins, not throw-ins. And the directional signal is identical for those, but a free kick has the additional portion of signal from the other arm pointing down in front of the body for accumulated fouls.

Use of voice is encouraged here, such as "throw" or "on the ground".

P.S. For FIFA futsal, kick-ins, not throw-ins. And the directional signal is identical for those, but a free kick has the additional portion of signal from the other arm pointing down in front of the body for accumulated fouls.
My typo, sorry, kick ins. Futsal season starts here in a month. It'll be my 4th year with the whistle ;)

What do mean by "directional signal is identical"?
AFAIK (and from looking at the futsal laws again!) the kick in signal is a high arm (i.e. same signal as an AR without the flag) and the DFK is a horizontal arm (plus the accumulated arm down as you say) - making it basically the opposite of 11-a-side...

High arm for kick-in must have come in only in the last few years - was always horizontal.
Yes, many signals in the game overlap. Same with the AR. Flag up....so is that offside? ball out? Foul? something else?
Ref blows the whistle, AR signals direction....at this point several possibilities still have identical signals...

I have done three years of futsal and it's been high angled arm for kick ins all that time. There was a big bunch of changes 4-5 years ago if I understand correctly.

The futsal is pretty straightforward if you think that you do most things as an AR would: sideways movement, track the last defender, angled arm for kick ins, point arm at corner for corner, perpendicular for goal kick... then add the horizontal arm for fouls, and race to the goal line when there is an attack and you are the weak side. Simples! And don't forget the whistle! And count everything with the hand... except kick offs and FKs that you count in your head... that's almost it;)

My 11 aside signal for a free kick when in doubt includes a signal similar to the futsal accumulated foul FK. That is, the non-raised arm motions downwards to the ground with the palm of my hand parallel to the ground. It’s a gesture to indicate putting the ball on the ground. Most ARs I work with read this signal quite well. Most players do too.

I also use voice. In addition if the ball goes out and back in, its a short double blow on the whistle. A free kick usually a single blow.

Last edited:
Back