A&H

How Do You Restart Play

Wow!! Didn't expect so much response. I'm still not clear as to how to restart. Some say a drop ball to the goalkeeper, others a drop ball to the attacking team where it hit the ref (inside the PA)??

The Referee Store
Wow!! Didn't expect so much response. I'm still not clear as to how to restart. Some say a drop ball to the goalkeeper, others a drop ball to the attacking team where it hit the ref (inside the PA)??

it's quite simple...

if the ref was hit inside the area then it's a drop ball to the keeper (as with any other drop ball scenario that means it is located in the area).

if the ref is hit outside then (if possession changes as a result or it sets up a goal scoring opportunity) the drop ball is to the attacking team from where you were hit.

It can't be a DB to the attacking team inside the PA - any drop ball in the PA MUST be to the keeper.

Outside, it goes to whoever had possession before.

EDIT: :ninja:'d

If the free kick was indirect and hit the ref, does the resulting drop ball to the attacking team remain indirect or direct?
Drop ball is neither direct or indirect. A dropped ball must touch two players before the ball can enter the goal and a goal be awarded. If it doesn't then its a goal kick.
This is all covered in the laws of the game. I suggest you have a read of the relevant laws here because the replies you get seem to be confusing you

How about if the referee blocked a certain or potential goal? How would play be restarted then?
Drop ball to the keeper. Anything that causes a drop ball to be required in the area gets dropped directly to the keeper
Unless the ball goes out of play, in which case restart is in accordance with ball out of play.

I feel I should add this for completeness. If the ball bounces to the attacking team player with no promising attack then play continues, no restart required.

Drop ball is neither direct or indirect. A dropped ball must touch two players before the ball can enter the goal and a goal be awarded. If it doesn't then its a goal kick.
This is all covered in the laws of the game. I suggest you have a read of the relevant laws here because the replies you get seem to be confusing you
@CapeTownRef
I don't want to pile on, and I don't know what Level 3 means in CapeTown, but this is a pretty basic Law that refs need to understand. Yes it's new (2 years?), but this is something you really need to go back to the magic book and study. Laws 8 & 9. If you don't know this forwards and backwards, it's easy to make a mistake of Law during the game.

Back