A&H

How far into the penalty area

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
So following my last assessment I was picked up again for not pushing far enough into the area at times.

I have been pushing further into the box following my first assessment, but it seems that I'm still not pushing in far enough.

I appreciate there won't be a single correct answer, as it will depend on the situation etc.

But this is something which I appear to be struggling with, and as I've never been told you need to push X distance into the box, I'm just not sure how far in I should be aiming to get.

I'm not worried about being left behind by a quick break as I'm more than fit enough for the standard of football I'm currently officiating, but I think my issue is being worried that by getting too far in I'll either get in the way, or worse have a ball hit me and either go in the goal, or fall to an attacker.

At corners etc I'm pushing in to a little outside the edge of the goal area, and for things like free kicks or throws going into the box I try and judge it by how the game has gone so far and what I expect the attacking team to try.

It is something I'll be asking at my next ra meeting, but thought I'd check in here to see if anyone has any advice the can offer

The Referee Store
So following my last assessment I was picked up again for not pushing far enough into the area at times.

I have been pushing further into the box following my first assessment, but it seems that I'm still not pushing in far enough.

I appreciate there won't be a single correct answer, as it will depend on the situation etc.

But this is something which I appear to be struggling with, and as I've never been told you need to push X distance into the box, I'm just not sure how far in I should be aiming to get.

I'm not worried about being left behind by a quick break as I'm more than fit enough for the standard of football I'm currently officiating, but I think my issue is being worried that by getting too far in I'll either get in the way, or worse have a ball hit me and either go in the goal, or fall to an attacker.

At corners etc I'm pushing in to a little outside the edge of the goal area, and for things like free kicks or throws going into the box I try and judge it by how the game has gone so far and what I expect the attacking team to try.

It is something I'll be asking at my next ra meeting, but thought I'd check in here to see if anyone has any advice the can offer
ive been told by several people NOT to get into the box.... but tbh i'm reserving judgement until i'm in you're situation and being assessed and told (or not told) otherwise

I've never been told not to go in there, it's just how far is recommended to avoid getting in the way
There is no right or wrong answer and every assessor will expect something a bit different. Some will want you on the goal line for corners every time others will want you to mix it up. Personally I mix it up to keep everyone on there toes, you will get some quite cute defenders that will clock where you are on every corner and use it to their advantage.

How do you avoid getting in the way? Well how do you avoid getting in the way everywhere else on the pitch? Think about your viewing angle, a good viewing angle can often be better than your proximity to the ball (im not saying judge decisions from 50 yards).

You were criticised for not pushing into the PA in general play? That's a weird one....usually doing so would get you too close to play

I find it useful to get deeper into the PA when there is going to be a close play on the keeper or I am worried the keeper might not play the ball cleanly. If you stay at the top of the area I think it is often hard to get a clear view of the play (too many players in your sightline). I generally try to move into the PA on the side farthest from the AR (on the diagonal). On corners I do the same, but move in slowly behind the players as they all move towards the goal. The real key is to always be moving!

pushing into the penalty area is a pet love of some assessors. The best time to do it for me seems to be when there is a run into the box by an attacker on the left hand side which you follow in. If there is a tackle then you are right there to see if it is fair or not or if it is a corner or goal kick etc Clattenburg is kind of the master of this, the late sprint to be right next to players as he gives the decision.

However, you have to be careful as you can easily get caught out. A recent game I chased the player with the ball into the penalty area. His shot rebounded across the penalty area where a defender with his back to me took possession (on six yard area line on the right hand side of penalty area), I tried to quickly readjust my position to see the attacker challenging him, but was left directly behind the challenge which meant I saw the foul but missed a borderline reckless challenge. The assessor didn't miss it sadly. Timing and luck :)

Back