A&H

How late can a challenge be?

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Situation I got absolutely slated for on Saturday. Reds attacking the opposition box, picks up the ball around 25 yards out. He plays the ball wide right but hits it behind the winger and it trickles out for a throwing. However, after the ball was played (the ball was about half way between him and the winger) a blue midfielder clattered into him. I pulled it back for the free kick. A couple of blue team players went mental suggesting that the ball was going out of play and the midfielder played no part in that.

Was I right to pull it back for the free kick? My view of the situation was regardless on where the ball was ending up, it was a late challenge. If he had played the ball correctly, I would have given advantage.

The Referee Store
yep, thats been discussed very recently in another thread somewhere.... regardless of where the ball is, as long as its in play then thats a foul and therefore FK.
They probably often dont get given as if you are on your own, once the ball has been played it can sometimes take the passer out of your view while you follow its path....and you dont see the 'afters'.
i've been told positioning (as ever) and also keeping a 'trailing eye' on proceedings .

Well done for spotting the off the ball foul. As Richard said, a trailing eye is useful.

Great decision and great positioning to spot this. Just another examples of players not knowing the rules, like the hand ball rule.

Great decision and great positioning to spot this. Just another examples of players not knowing the rules, like the hand ball rule.

In my short refereeing career so far, the reaction from players to 'handball' is the most frustrating part of the game. Just this weekend, the red attacker struck the ball at a blue defender who was stood no further than 2 yards away. It hit the player in the arm but his arm was across his chest. Handball cried out and I'm swarmed by 3 players. The fact that I even have to justify my decision not to give a penalty is painful

In my short refereeing career so far, the reaction from players to 'handball' is the most frustrating part of the game. Just this weekend, the red attacker struck the ball at a blue defender who was stood no further than 2 yards away. It hit the player in the arm but his arm was across his chest. Handball cried out and I'm swarmed by 3 players. The fact that I even have to justify my decision not to give a penalty is painful

Get used to it, sadly they never learn!

last game i had there were 5 shouts of handball
two were from, like yours, about 2 yards away and there was certainly nothing deliberate about them
two were defenders trying to control a ball rolling towards them and not doing that very well, ball bounces off the top of their foot and hits their hand, again certainly nothing deliberate
didnt give those, the one i did give was the one from about 10 yards where the player easily could have moved his arm out of the way and didnt

last game i had there were 5 shouts of handball
two were from, like yours, about 2 yards away and there was certainly nothing deliberate about them
two were defenders trying to control a ball rolling towards them and not doing that very well, ball bounces off the top of their foot and hits their hand, again certainly nothing deliberate
didnt give those, the one i did give was the one from about 10 yards where the player easily could have moved his arm out of the way and didnt
And I bet the players moaned how "inconsistent" you were being when you did give that one?

yes @GraemeS , yes they did obviously the player i did penalise had the right hump as his handball would have seen him in a shooting position.
talking of consistency, another thing that gets on my nerves are players comparing tackles ( thats tackles and not their tackle btw :) )
''but ref, that was exactly the same as that one over there !'' no sir , it wasnt

I also enjoy two players going for a header but only one jumps, therefore he must be climbing! "Ref" shouts left right and center at that point!

or '' you only blew cos they shouted, ref ! ''

one even better addition to that i had last sunday was , '' you cant appeal for a foul''

There's two teams ref you haven't given us anything! grrrrrr thanks for that whilst sarcastically pointing at either end and saying out loud one- two!! :mad::mad::mad::punch:

'Who's the ref? You or him?'

We'll its certainly not you so you can be quiet as well! :cool:

Handballs the most misunderstood law in the world. Ok if its in your favour but when the tables are turned its such an injustice. Pet hate In the back Ref.

There's two teams ref you haven't given us anything! grrrrrr thanks for that whilst sarcastically pointing at either end and saying out loud one- two!! :mad::mad::mad::punch:
Or reminding the complainant that only one team keeps committing the fouls.......

There are loads of shouts that I hate. Here are just a few:-

You've seen that. (Yes, that's why I blew my whistle)
There's two teams in this game. (Oh yes, thanks for clearing that one up)
You're killing us here. (Because I sent off your player for almost snapping someone in two)
Keep up with play ref. (Usually following a corner kick at the other end. I really must run faster)
You've given us nothing today. (I gave you a throw in a minute ago and that penalty you missed earlier!)

I could go on but I'm sure the rest of you have other ones.

Back