A&H

How to assess? Tips

forest96

Hi all

I have just qualified as an observer, and I'll soon be going out to start observing. As an active referee, I'll mostly be assessing 7-6 and 6-5 candidates on Sunday games.

For those amongst our brethren experienced in this dark art, what is your system? Blank sheet of paper and pen? Or fancy templates with different coloured boxes? Or somewhere in the middle? Obviously I'll be looking to develop my own style but any tips on how best to record information during the game would be much appreciated.

The Referee Store
Timed examples of strengths or development points is what is required. Observers will use what they feel comfortable with. My systems vary for promotion to supply league matches.

On promotion matches, i use handbooks from CFA which has a lined page on one half of the book and a map of a pitch. This give me more scope for positioning errors and where advantage occured.

Most important tip is "can you use it in the rain?" :drown:

I've tried loads of different ways, but now I've settled on a blank piece of paper with columns marked out. Two small columns on the left, one for competency and another for minute, then a large column for description. Then to the far right I have two small columns for fouls, where I list the offender (colour and number) and minute.

In terms of how you record details there is no right and wrong way. The key thing is, as lincs22 has said, you need specific information with minute, offender and details of the offence. These days observing is more and more about detailing specific, timed, examples rather than a long rambling monologue about the overall performance.

Back