A&H

IDFK? (Liv-Ars)

Yes, relatively new. He obviously felt that it was clear a goal wasn't going to be scored directly at the taking of each kick that he did this.
Suppose most players at grass roots couldn't score from their own half even with no defenders or keeper present. Extremely unlikely they are going to do it against a full team.

The Referee Store
Weirdly enough I had this at the start of this season where an offside IFK near the halfway line was booted directly into the goal. It was Sunday league so naturally players were celebrating immediately. I was very glad I still had my hand up - but there was still some explaining to do (and a few pretty annoyed players on the ‘scoring’ team)

Lesson being: Just keep the hand up until it’s out/touched.

saturday just gone the ref at my efl team gave idfks for offisdes. As soon as the ball was kicked he put his arm down EVERY time.

Is this a new thing?
I believe the change was made at around the same time as the option for a one armed advantage signal was introduced. Both changes are in keeping with the overall desire for more mobile, athletic referees ... rounding around with both arms in front of you or one straight up in the air isn't super stylish :)

I believe the change was made at around the same time as the option for a one armed advantage signal was introduced. Both changes are in keeping with the overall desire for more mobile, athletic referees ... rounding around with both arms in front of you or one straight up in the air isn't super stylish :)
Indeed. not heard of many sprint coaches advocate their charges should run at top speed with one arm up in their air 😂

Makes sense really. The only purpose of the offside signal is to say a goal cannot be scored until someone else has touched the ball. Realistically you know within seconds of the ball being kicked whether this is even a possibility, so makes no sense keeping the arm up.

Indeed. not heard of many sprint coaches advocate their charges should run at top speed with one arm up in their air 😂

Makes sense really. The only purpose of the offside signal is to say a goal cannot be scored until someone else has touched the ball. Realistically you know within seconds of the ball being kicked whether this is even a possibility, so makes no sense keeping the arm up.
IIRC, the mandate to keep the arm up until touched (rather than clearly not going in) came in somewhere around the 90s. I always assumed it came in because there was a signal failure in a big game, and they reacted with overkill. But that was just an assumption.

Dang. That just made me feel old. It’s a long time ago, but my recollection was being taught before the change to keep it up until clear not going into the goal.

Back