A&H

Ignoring request to start game

mctones

Hi All

First couple of games as a ref under the belt now, but had a bizarre one at the weekend for an u16 match. Wondering what to do if occurs again.

Home team were ready on the pitch for KO in their positions and captain with me at the centre ready for coin toss, but away team stayed talking in a huddle with their coaches and substitutes. Blew the whistle a few times, as well as verbally (loudly) asking them to come and start the match.

The home team and coaches were then shouting at me to “do something ref” and I heard one shout from the sideline of “you’ve lost control of the game before it’s started”.

Eventually after about 3 mins when the away team had finished their huddle, they got ready to start the match.

What should I have done here? Warned or gone as far as cautioning for not respecting the game or might it be a gesture of dissent? If cautioning whom would that be to, team officials?

Cheers, Tony

The Referee Store
You can walk over and ask them to get a move on. If no movement, I think I would be giving a warning to the coach for "failing to cooperate with a match official". If they didn't start moving then I'd be looking to caution for either showing a lack of respect for the game or persistent unacceptable behaviour.
Also, many leagues impose a fine for late KO, so check league rules and report to league if necessary.

Generally speaking, in this sort of situation I’d suggest approaching the huddle and asking for the captain. The rest can continue while you do the pre-match things with both captains.

In your scenario however it looks like you just came up against “one of those” coaches. I’m reluctant to suggest a caution here initially, unless he starts to make comments to you. Try and be proactive, intimating that time is ticking on and the game needs to be started ASAP. Going straight to the caution that early, can backfire on you. You’ll have learned about the stepped approach as you did your course. Try that here, looking for cooperation before coercion if you can.

And a question for you. Did the extended huddle delay the kick off time - that is to make it kick off later than scheduled? If so, ensure you report the late kick off and circumstances (making clear that the away team were in default) to the competition organiser. It doesn’t solve your initial issue, but does mean they’re facing some consequences because of it.

Yes sorry this occurred AFTER scheduled KO time, 3 mins of the coach giving pep talk. Will include in match report.

Thanks for replies, I think walking over which would have been the 4th action on my part (previously two whistles, one verbal beckon) would have shown I was trying to get the game started, and I like the idea of getting the captain across. After all that then perhaps a caution to the head coach.

Have to say this was just the start of a pretty challenging match, wasn’t expecting an u16 match so early to be honest, knew I need to get my fitness up to referee but crumbs the pace of game is scary!

Yes sorry this occurred AFTER scheduled KO time, 3 mins of the coach giving pep talk. Will include in match report.

Thanks for replies, I think walking over which would have been the 4th action on my part (previously two whistles, one verbal beckon) would have shown I was trying to get the game started, and I like the idea of getting the captain across. After all that then perhaps a caution to the head coach.

Have to say this was just the start of a pretty challenging match, wasn’t expecting an u16 match so early to be honest, knew I need to get my fitness up to referee but crumbs the pace of game is scary!
I find those games harder than adults on grassroots leagues, so much energy!

Hi All

First couple of games as a ref under the belt now, but had a bizarre one at the weekend for an u16 match. Wondering what to do if occurs again.

Home team were ready on the pitch for KO in their positions and captain with me at the centre ready for coin toss, but away team stayed talking in a huddle with their coaches and substitutes. Blew the whistle a few times, as well as verbally (loudly) asking them to come and start the match.

The home team and coaches were then shouting at me to “do something ref” and I heard one shout from the sideline of “you’ve lost control of the game before it’s started”.

Eventually after about 3 mins when the away team had finished their huddle, they got ready to start the match.

What should I have done here? Warned or gone as far as cautioning for not respecting the game or might it be a gesture of dissent? If cautioning whom would that be to, team officials?

Cheers, Tony
Normally, the league rules mention about late kick-offs and potential fines. One threat is to report them to the league if they aren't ready in 60 seconds.

Also, nowhere in the Laws of the Game does it require both captains to be present for the coin toss. You can toss with the Home Capt, if he wins they have the choice. If he losses, then you simple go over and ask the away team what they. Burt more seriously, you can caution the coach for delay in starting the game.

Not a lot you can do other than encourage them, tell them if they don't hurry up you'll be reporting them, and then report them after the game.

My response to the shout of having lost control of the game before it had started would have been a reply of "you ain't seen nothing yet" (NOTE: I am not recommending that 😂)

One tip I’ve used is just checking with each manager ‘good to go in 15 minutes or so’? Forces them to have a quick look at their watch and stick to timings.

Yeah, you only need the captain, so there's no reason to expect the huddle to break up if you can instead just ask the captain to leave and join you.

Yeah, you only need the captain, so there's no reason to expect the huddle to break up if you can instead just ask the captain to leave and join you.
Although in reality the captain will be leading the huddle so not likely to leave it.

Exactly - but then you're thinking of it in terms of one player who's holding it up, which certainly focuses the attention!

I am an established referee in the league i referee in. Most teams know me and I know them. When I get teams that don't know me and how I referee, that first game sets the tone for future games. For things like the OP and other 'team/player discipline' things like equipment, dissent, making subs etc, in the first game I work with them to get it right and make it very clear i am not happy about and put up with poor discipline. If they are not willing to work with me then the rest of that game will be harder for me, but more importantly much harder for them. This would make it an incentive for them to get it right the next time. Overhearing 'it's that referee again' when I get a team second or third time makes me smile.

Managing teams like the OP is a big challenge for experienced referees let alone a newer one. It is very clear it wasn't the first time the team in the OP had done what they did. I feel that they had got away with it many times in the past and unfortunately I also think some experienced refereess who could have 'set the tone' for future games a bit better chose to take the easy path .

Wouldve given them a whistle and then walked over to the huddle and told them if they dont move you are starting the game now. Theyll soon move

Back