A&H

Keeper control of the ball

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
This isn't a question about the LOTG as they stand now. My question is this: has it ever been the case that the LOTG or LOAF stated that a goalkeeper needed two hands on the ball to be considered in control of it?

Twice in the last two weeks I've blown for an attacker kicking the ball which was on the ground and when the keeper had a hand on top of it. Both times players have complained that it's not a FK because the keeper didn't have both hands on it.

I recall being told the same thing when I was a kid. Was it ever true? If so, when did it change?

The Referee Store
Not to the best of my knowledge. But even if this was the case, the rule on challenging the goalkeeper has been in its current format for at leas the last 3-5 editions if I'm not mistaken.

It is unfortunately a misconception, rather than anything else.

There are arguments for and against if he has one hand on it and against the ground is he in control? how does he lift it or what can he actually do with it etc same when he comes to catch..however when he goes to throw it with one hand you can't knock it out of his hand? Two hands generally gives a guarantee as he can control it and do whatever he likes with it..but it is your call as to what you determine control.

has it ever been the case that the LOTG or LOAF stated that a goalkeeper needed two hands on the ball to be considered in control of it?

To the best of my knowledge, the Laws have never specified this. I'm not sure exactly when it was introduced, but prior to 2007, the only definition was the following:
The goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching it with any part of his hand or arms. Possession of the ball would include the goalkeeper intentionally parrying the ball, but would not include the circumstances where, in the opinion of the referee, the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper, for example after he has made a save.

From 2007 onwards, the following was added in the Additional Instructions & Guidelines section:
The goalkeeper is considered to be in possession of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface (e.g., ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand.
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent.
So I'm not sure where this belief came from but as far as I am aware there was never a time when it was true according to the Laws.

If anyone has any different information I'd be genuinely interested to hear it.

It might well come from history, back in the 70's it was considered fair game to charge a goalkeeper fairly when he was holding the ball.

Was still in the laws in 97. I was playing back then and never recall ever seeing a keeper charged , fairly or otherwise!

OK, I've found where the provision that includes the wording "the goalkeeper is considered. ..." came from. It was introduced (with minor differences) in 1991 as IFAB Decision 17 to Law 12. The full text of the decision was as follows:
The International FA Board is of the opinion that a goalkeeper, in the circumstances described in Law XII 5 (a), will be considered to be in control of the ball when he takes possession of the ball by touching it with any part of his hand or arms. Possession of the ball would include the goalkeeper intentionally parrying the ball, but would not include the circumstances where, in the opinion of the referee, the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper, for example after he has made a save.

Prior to that although the Laws referred to the goalkeeper being in control of the ball (in relation to the four-step law) there was no definition of what control meant exactly.

So I think I can state with a relative degree of confidence that there has never been a time in the history of the Laws, when it was stated that a goalkeeper had to have both hands on the ball to establish control.

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned anything about cards SF. Are you feeling alright? Is it time for your nap?

I think Sheffields Finest is in the wrong thread. That's a very good point brought up and brings clarity to a situation you might encounter. Guaranteed that I am going to have one of those calls tomorrow.

Happens a fair bit, keeper dives onto the ball with one hand, striker belts ball into net to shouts of ' he only had one hand on it'!

Confusion when you rule it out, something about rules is usually mentioned.

Happy days

Back