A&H

Knee injury

SM

The avuncular one
picked up an odd injury Sunday. After about 30 minutes I had a hot, sharp pain right up the centre of my knee cap. Never had a knee injury before, the whole area was swollen with what looked like a lump. Had to give in to the pain and stop at half time as it was just getting worse.

Got ice on it straight away and was ready to be going to A+E on Monday, but the ice seemed to do the trick and swelling went down. Pain has gone away and it looks like a normal knee again!

Speaking to some colleagues they think it is over use and doing too many intense games in a short space of time. I can see the sense in what they are saying, but I will ask a doctor I work with who has had sports related knee issues over the years just to cast his eye on it tomorrow.

Anyone got any experience of such things?

As it stands I have rested it (walking on it only, with support on for one day - been more of less back to normal today) and it has been fine. Thinking of gym tomorrow which will be mostly weights, so I can avoid anything to heavy on the knee. Going to try and have a run on Thursday and decide if I am fit for Saturday.

That sounds okay to me, but I have never had a knee injury before. Am I asking for trouble?

The Referee Store
Same as my reply to the back injury topic, no one on here will likely be able to help you and any advice could just as easily set you back as move you in the right direction. Thee are so many moving parts in the knee it could literally be anything that caused the pain.

Personally, and I speak as someone that has been plagued with knee problems, if you had to give in to pain on Sunday I would be going nowhere near a run on Thursday nor a game on Saturday. If you'd just felt a twinge then fine, but if it forced you off I really think you need to be considering at least a couple of weeks off. Sharp and sudden pain in the centre of the knee cap points towards cartilage damage, especially with swelling, but not necessarily a lump, so if it persists you will really need professional advice.

My suggestion would be take it steady and try gradually building back load on it over the next few days before returning to football. Missing a couple of weeks is better than missing a couple of seasons ...!

I'm with @RustyRef on this.

I've had to close dates with all my leagues indefinitely and pull out of 2 1st round county cup appointments due to a knee problem.

I'd definitely rest it a week or two and build back up slowly, a trip to the Dr may be in order, especially if it reoccur to rule out any serious damage.

Saw a doctor today - patella tendonitis.

Rest is the only real cure.

I had already had a gun (lol autocorrect - should be gym) session which did involve some deadlifts (not so much knee) and squats (a bit more knee orientated) and had minimal reaction. Even so, looks like I am having a week off at least.

I had already had a gun (lol autocorrect - should be gym) session which did involve some deadlifts (not so much knee) and squats (a bit more knee orientated) and had minimal reaction. Even so, looks like I am having a week off at least.

Don't worry SM, you'll be able to referee more games on here.

No pesky players to argue and if any one of us shows any dissent you can just shut down the thread!:p

Hope it clears up soon - nothing more frustrating than an injury - especially when the weather is so good!;)

Did he tell u to keep icing it or give u exercises

Icing it.

its a re-post but i like it anyways....

SpeedbumpKnee.jpg

Hmmm. After much trying to persuade myself that I would be fine to do a game Saturday, I have seen sense and withdrawn to give the knee rest. :foot:

Short term pain (of no game) leading to hopefully long term gain (swift recovery!)

Somehow just doesn't sit right. The little voice in the back of the head whispering ... But it might be just fine! :dead:

Went for some treadmill work at the gym. 30 minutes of mixed intensity running and it was fine. No reaction at all so far.

Fingers crossed...

@SM I saw your update that you're still having trouble. The doctor is fine to tell you the symptoms, but the cause is not necessarily related to your knee at all and just rest/ice on that area is only going to mask the issue.

Knee soreness (usually on the outside but could affect anywhere) can be actually be a symptom of weak gluteus or hip muscles, which end up in poor posture and running technique, weak ankles, etc. The list can go on, so to cut a long story short you need your old friend the physio to have a good look at you. Good luck...

Back