A&H

Late out for the 2nd half

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
In my league half time is 5 minutes unless otherwise agreed by the referee. Most teams just gather by the touchline. A team I reffed a few weeks ago disappeared at half time (presumably to their dressing room although I didn't check that) and didn't emerge for almost 20 minutes.

The league rules do not specify a sanction for being late out. I included the information on my match report.

I have the same team again this weekend on a 2.15 KO. If they play that trick again we'll lose light before we finish. I'm guessing that I would be within the laws of the game to abandon the match at the start of the second half due to one team having fewer than 7 players present? In practice, how would you handle this?

The Referee Store
If you see them starting to walk off perhaps have a word with the captain and tell him that you'll be restarting in 5 minutes and that if his team isn't there you will be abandoning. That might focus their attention.

Or how far away are the changing rooms? Too far to go and hammer on their door and say if they are not out straight away you will be calling the game off?

In my league half time is 5 minutes unless otherwise agreed by the referee. Most teams just gather by the touchline. A team I reffed a few weeks ago disappeared at half time (presumably to their dressing room although I didn't check that) and didn't emerge for almost 20 minutes.

The league rules do not specify a sanction for being late out. I included the information on my match report.

I have the same team again this weekend on a 2.15 KO. If they play that trick again we'll lose light before we finish. I'm guessing that I would be within the laws of the game to abandon the match at the start of the second half due to one team having fewer than 7 players present? In practice, how would you handle this?

as you say, your handbook will state that the half time interval can only be altered with the consent of the referee, and they may well have already been contacted under the guise of 'late kick off' as that sanction isnt specified as first or second half ?
personally i'd just remind the manager before the first half that its 5 minutes only, and then again when you blow up for half time, with the addendum that they risk an abandoned match shud the requisite number of players not be available to kick off the second half

The fastest sanction would be to caution the whole team for delay of the game.£110 to the CFA would help them get out onto the FOP.
:)

Sensible approach would be to remind manager at start of game of league rules, at half time if you see them walking away call manager back and again point out league rule (have a copy with you), if he quotes LOTG it's 15 mins maximum meaning on the 15 min you KO again. However, leagues rules here override the LOTG so stick to them.

Law 7 - page 61 of the good book.

2. Half-time interval

Players are entitled to an interval at half-time, not exceeding 15 minutes. Competition rules must state the duration of the half-time interval and it may be altered only with the referee’s permission.

5 minutes is not enough! If they're all out by then, that's fine... but crikey, if you're in a big game which has been physically challenging, a five minute break is a bit pointless. By the time you've caught your breath, you're out on the field blowing through the hoop again!

I'm inclined to agree and I'm usually pretty flexible but the league allows 2.15pm KOs this saturday which is really pushing it for light. 15 will definitely be too long. Even last saturday, with a 5 minute break it was getting dangerous.

Turn up, say hello. Find Manager....'Afternoon mate, before I forget....other week when I had you, you went back to changing rooms. I don't think we'll have enough light to finish game today if you do that so can you stay out today please?'

me, another AR and ref all got locked in our changing room at half time one afternoon... had to phone the club sec to come and get us out ... 5 minutes late for the second half and had to explain to the waiting players / managers that we werent just nursing our cuppas ! :)

Back