A&H

Law 5 : Injuries

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone!

I’m just reading Law 5. Can someone explain this bit for me?

“Exceptions to the requirement to leave the field of play are only when:
  • if play has not been stopped for another reason, or if an injury suffered by a player is not the result of an offence, play is restarted with a dropped ball”

What does it mean “if play has NOT been stopped for another reason”?

I’m sure it makes perfect sense but I just don’t know what it means?

Thanks very much everyone!

The Referee Store
pretty much that if play is stopped only for an injury which wasnt caused by an offence play is restarted with a drop ball

it's not worded very well...

The classic example is a clash of heads where you feel neither player was at fault. No offence has been committed and as long as the ball has stayed on the FOP, the only reason you've stopped play is because of the injury that needs attention - so in that case, you would determine which team was in possession when you blew the whistle (you remember to note that, right? ;)) and drop the ball to them.

The classic example is a clash of heads where you feel neither player was at fault. No offence has been committed and as long as the ball has stayed on the FOP, the only reason you've stopped play is because of the injury that needs attention - so in that case, you would determine which team was in possession when you blew the whistle (you remember to note that, right? ;)) and drop the ball to them.
I had an instance last week for a youth game where two players started pushing and shoving and I stopped play to ensure their safety (especially considering it was a youth game), neither really needed more than a talking to and I restarted with a drop ball to the team who was last in possession. Is this the correct proced in situations like this?

The classic example is a clash of heads where you feel neither player was at fault. No offence has been committed and as long as the ball has stayed on the FOP, the only reason you've stopped play is because of the injury that needs attention - so in that case, you would determine which team last touched the ball when you blew the whistle (you remember to note that, right? ;)) and drop the ball to them.
Made a slight, albeit picky, adjustment 😁

Hi everyone!

I’m just reading Law 5. Can someone explain this bit for me?

“Exceptions to the requirement to leave the field of play are only when:
  • if play has not been stopped for another reason, or if an injury suffered by a player is not the result of an offence, play is restarted with a dropped ball”

What does it mean “if play has NOT been stopped for another reason”?

I’m sure it makes perfect sense but I just don’t know what it means?

Thanks very much everyone!

You have related two unrelated parts of law 5. The first part of your quote is followed by a exception list which it relates to and is not in your quote. The dot point you have quoted is completely unrelated to the excptions list.

The dot pot related to the restart. It basically meant if you stop play for an injury, you
restart with a dropped ball, otherwise restart with whatever reason play was stopped for, for example a throw in.

You have related two unrelated parts of law 5. The first part of your quote is followed by a exception list which it relates to and is not in your quote. The dot point you have quoted is completely unrelated to the excptions list.

The dot pot related to the restart. It basically meant if you stop play for an injury, you
restart with a dropped ball, otherwise restart with whatever reason play was stopped for, for example a throw in.
Oh okeedokes! Thanks very much

I had an instance last week for a youth game where two players started pushing and shoving and I stopped play to ensure their safety (especially considering it was a youth game), neither really needed more than a talking to and I restarted with a drop ball to the team who was last in possession. Is this the correct proced in situations like this?

If the ball is in play and they are pushing enough to warrant stopping the game, at least one of them has committed a pushing foul. I'd suggest you call the foul, and then talk to both of them.

If the ball is in play and they are pushing enough to warrant stopping the game, at least one of them has committed a pushing foul. I'd suggest you call the foul, and then talk to both of them.
Good point. I will do exactly that if it happens again. Thanks very much!

Yes, if the ball is in play you have to decide on order of offences, punishing who committed the offence first essentially.
There is a bit in law regarding simultaneous offences and punishing the most serious in terms of sanction, tactical impact but this is really aimed at 1 player committing 2 offences at the same time eg careless foul and stop promising attack. We punish the SPA with a caution as the most serious offence.

Just book them both for adopting an aggressive attitude, while you might be able to manage this with more experience at this stage of your referee journey it may be too risky.

If you're not sure who committed the offence, and it's in a neutral area, give it against the one who's least respectful, more than likely they committed the first offence anyway.

Just book them both for adopting an aggressive attitude, while you might be able to manage this with more experience at this stage of your referee journey it may be too risky.
I was able to manage it without the cards, and considering their age, I didn’t feel cards were necessary.
If you're not sure who committed the offence, and it's in a neutral area, give it against the one who's least respectful, more than likely they committed the first offence anyway.
Thanks for that though, it’s a good point! I’ll bear it in mind!

No, it's not. This is not stopping play for an injury, it's stopping play for an offence (or offences).

You have basically two choices here.

1. Make a judgement (if you can) as to who committed the first offence and award a DFK against them.

2. If you decide these were truly simultaneous offences (both players started pushing at exactly the same time) then as stated in the law, the referee:

punishes the more serious offence, in terms of sanction, restart, physical severity and tactical impact, when more than one offence occurs at the same time

Up until 2016 when this new wording was adopted, you would've awarded a dropped ball for simultaneous offences by players on different teams (and it would've been a contested dropped ball) but since that time, you cannot.

In this instance, if you decide to go down the simultaneous offences route, and based on the wording given above, since the sanction and restart would be the same, you should punish according to which player's offence was the more physically severe.

Personally, I think it preferable to make a decision as to which player committed the offence first, if at all possible.

No, it's not. This is not stopping play for an injury, it's stopping play for an offence (or offences).

You have basically two choices here.

1. Make a judgement (if you can) as to who committed the first offence and award a DFK against them.

2. If you decide these were truly simultaneous offences (both players started pushing at exactly the same time) then as stated in the law, the referee:

Up until 2016 when this new wording was adopted, you would've awarded a dropped ball for simultaneous offences by players on different teams (and it would've been a contested dropped ball) but since that time, you cannot.

In this instance, if you decide to go down the simultaneous offences route, and based on the wording given above, since the sanction and restart would be the same, you should punish according to which player's offence was the more physically severe.

Personally, I think it preferable to make a decision as to which player committed the offence first, if at all possible.
Thank you very much for that 👍

Back