A&H

Let myself down today...

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
Forgive me forum for I have sinned.

Refereed a match between whites and yellows. Whites 2 divisions higher and their extra quality was obvious throughout and soon raced into a 4-0 lead.

2nd half yellows only come out with 10 as one player had "food poisoning" and they had already used all their subs. Lead soon increased to 6-0 when a yellow player tries to run with the ball but ultimately trips himself up. Trying hard not to laugh the yellow player then promptly starts telling me how useless I am and that it was a free kick all day. My response "being rubbish at football is not a reason to award you a freekick"

It got a few laughs from the crowd and opposition players, and it didn't affect my overall match control but that kind of comment wasn't really appropriate.

Said player did get cautioned a few minutes later, he was 1 v 1 with the GK and as yellow 9 went to go round him keeper swiped the ball away, yellow player clearly feels its a penalty (only one to do so) and starts cursing. Whites counter so i allow play to continue but it ends up going out for goal kick, i call over yellow 9 and tell him is being cautioned for dissent and he is lucky its not a red for OFFINABUS.

Final score 8-0 to whites

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Ah, these things happen don't they? Could've been a lot worse but if you know you shouldn't have then you're less likely to do it again!

I think I had a similar feeling when I wanted to tell a 15 year old that was getting niggly I was watching him. I made the pointing at my eyes, then at him, gesture. I felt like such a plum immediately and that will be the first and last time.

We learn;)

It's not that bad, and could help the situation to calm down if used correctly.

My favourite if someone accuses a team of time wasting after a shot has gone astray is to tell them to shoot on target next time. Soon shuts them up.

In a women's game, I didn't give a free kick in the lead up to a goal to the defending team. I got told to learn to blow my whistle so I said to the player to learn to be quiet! Got a few laughs! I know people will disagree but if there is someone who is one step away from a yellow for dissent, and then say something that is classed as OFFINABUS then sending them off can be better because it just gets rid of them, no more issues from that player. However, red cards aren't always the answer. As long as you learn from mistakes, it doesn't matter! You didn't necessarily do anything wrong, maybe just went a little far

Back