A&H

Let's talk social... from Neale Barry

Brian Hamilton

RefChat Addict
Observer/Tutor
These days, social networks are a part of everyday life for billions of people across the planet. Of course, it is an individual’s right to use such sites as they wish, within the bounds of legal acceptability. However, where football and refereeing matters are concerned, there are reasonable expectations associated with your position and standing within the game as a Match Official. You might be surprised to read that The FA has to regularly take disciplinary action against referees from all levels of the game. The reason? Referees using social media to criticise, insult and even abuse other referees, clubs, managers, players, assessors and County FA officials.

As a referee you need to understand that every comment, or opinion posted on social network sites instantly enters the public domain. In other words, what you post on social (media) is no different from comments published in a newspaper or quotes reported on television or radio. If you place potentially sensitive or critical comments about colleagues, players or clubs on social media (or e-mail for that matter), you essentially lose control of where it goes or who might see it. Almost every time The FA contacts a referee about an inappropriate social media comment, the response is: “It was only a playful chat with friends. It wasn’t meant to become public”.

Take note: if it’s posted, it’s public. This means it’s out there. It seems there’s always someone prepared to forward critical comments to the football authorities. The motive isn’t always clear, but the consequences are.

As a Match Official at any level of the game, you have a responsibility to conduct yourself in a professional manner, on and off the field of play. Inappropriate use of any social media site (or email service) could leave you open to criticism, comment, ridicule or even a disciplinary charge. The message is simple: enjoy social media, but always use it wisely. Think carefully before posting on any social network site. The FA doesn’t want you to jeopardise your position as a Match Official by a moment of social media madness. It happens. Don’t let it happen to you.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Same can be said for any employment. The amount of times I've seen someone mouth off about an employer is incredible. I think it's a false sense of security that it's a personal social environment without realising employers now actively scoure employees pages for such content

"It seems there’s always someone prepared to forward critical comments to the football authorities. The motive isn’t always clear, but the consequences are."

At least Neale knows that most of the complaints come from little Napoleons.

Hence the many who use pseudonyms. It aids the debate a bit as many have feelings to share that they wouldn't were their real name on display :cool:
Keyboard warriors eh? Rank alongside the script kiddies and the trolls when they start their insidious campaigns usually shouting about rights to free speech, etc.

Don't forget however that a report about someone using a pseudonym is the same as a player giving a fake name when cautioned. The request would be sent to the webmaster asking for the real name of the user. Failure to comply could result in trouble for the webmaster for hosting the comment, especially when they themselves are a referee.

"It seems there’s always someone prepared to forward critical comments to the football authorities. The motive isn’t always clear, but the consequences are."

At least Neale knows that most of the complaints come from little Napoleons.
Small French Generals?

Last edited:
Keyboard warriors eh? Rank alongside the script kiddies and the trolls when they start their insidious campaigns usually shouting about rights to free speech, etc.

Don't forget however that a report about someone using a pseudonym is the same as a player giving a fake name when cautioned. The request would be sent to the webmaster asking for the real name of the user. Failure to comply could result in trouble for the webmaster for hosting the comment, especially when they themselves are a referee.

Small French Generals?

Oh Yes

I tuck my refchat log in details away with my map of Luton, EDL uniform and BNP guide to the 2005 general election.

Small French Generals?

1. You assume everyone has registered on this site with their real name etc.

2. The FA have no authority to demand that Ross hand over the details of any posters. Any request for personal details would have to be made by the Police who would in turn require a search warrant.

If Ross were to hand over people's details to the FA then he could be in breach of the data protection act and could face a decent sized fine.

The FA are unlikely to take any action against people on here, it's much easier to pick the low hanging fruit of Facebook/Twitter, as they wouldn't need to get lawyers involved to find out someone's name.

Edited to add - I appreciate some may try and argue that I am advocating that we can say whatever we want on here without recourse, I'm not.

I am just countering the argument that the FA have power to go around demanding that webmasters hand over personal information of the their users willy nilly.

Facebook is different due to the fact most people will post using an account with their name and picture attached to it, so information is there for the world to see.

Last edited:
Fascinating. However, the number of comments left on here which would breach fa rules is tiny (and most would be removed anyway if they crossed the line).

Nanny state though eh? No opinions for you referees!!

Don't forget however that a report about someone using a pseudonym is the same as a player giving a fake name when cautioned.
Nope, nothing like it, not even in the general area of similarity.

The request would be sent to the webmaster asking for the real name of the user.
Who would send a request to the webmaster? If it doesn't fall foul of a law under whose jurisdiction the website falls (based upon where it is hosted), then anyone [other than appropriate law enforcement within their jurisdiction] sending such a request is just pushing their luck.

Failure to comply could result in trouble for the webmaster for hosting the comment, especially when they themselves are a referee.
Complying with a request for data that could not be backed up legally would result in the webmaster being in far more trouble than not complying with such a request.

As per others, have free and open discussion and debate, but don't venture in to OFFINABUS territory - as interpreted by the mods (and remember, you can get away with more if its a cup final). Not just on here, but anywhere public.

I don't use my real name so I can post about match incidents in my games, of course there are always a few rogue posters using anonymity for other reasons.

When Brian posted about a poor teams behaviour recently, the team saw what he'd posted and slung some accusations towards Brian. The team could easily identify themselves because Brian had posted under his own name.

Fascinating. However, the number of comments left on here which would breach fa rules is tiny (and most would be removed anyway if they crossed the line).

Nanny state though eh? No opinions for you referees!!

Nanny state pretty much sums it up.

However, as Referees we do need to conduct ourselves in a "professional" manner, it would easy for a reporter to come on here and take quotes from a thread and run a story about how "Top Referee Slammed by colleagues" etc.

And as another user has stated, the potential for getting stabbed in the back is also high.

Particularly on Facebook where another referee or team with a grudge could, depending on your security settings, grass you up for some innocuous comment.

I have a few friends who are teachers or Police officers and they all either use a nickname on social media, or spell their names backwards so it's hard for people to identify them directly.

I was once called to account (thankfully, only at League level) when comments were made about a team manager on my Facebook page. It wasn't even me that made them, but as they were on my page, I was asked to explain them! (The guy who wrote them ended up writing a letter of apology, I think).

A London referee was suspended for 5 years due to comments made on Facebook, although this was subsequently reduced to 6 months on appeal to the FA. And I know of one referee who received a lengthy suspension due to comments on a forum even though he was posting anonymously, this being because the evidence stacked up so much against him he had no defence.

It also doesn't stop there. A few years ago a few Sheffield Wednesday fans posted alleged derogatory comments about the then chairman Dave Allen. He went to court to force the forum moderators to have over actual contact details of those who has posted under pseudonyms, and whilst the judge rejected most of the 11 claims, he ordered the court to hand over details of 3 supporters and legal action was then taken. I believe this was then settled out of court.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1002015/sheffield-wednesday-fans-sued

Back