A&H

Level 4 promotions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my MOAS access. Having a fiddle closing some dates. All seems straight dorward enough, so far.
Sure once appointments start filtering in it will be just as.

3 questions so far

Hiw far in advance is good practice to keep my closed dates up to date for? I ask this question as I work 13 hour shifts 3 times a week on a 5 week out basis i.e. whilst I have a rota until 2018 Its not committed and can be changed on a whim 5 weeks notice.

2) I notice there is a section for misconduct is misconduct now done through MOAS instead of whole game system. Or wgs still. Or both?

3) match reports - currently if I am allocated a cheshire league 1 game i complete a matchbreport form via excel spreadsheet..so if I do a cheshire league premier league game appointed via MOAS do I do the Moas post match report AND still the one for the league too?

Thabks for any help offered.

The Referee Store
1) They ask for closed dates to be in within a few days of the appointments coming out for the next month. So say the appointments for August come out on the 21st June, they would want all your closed dates for September in by the 23rd/24th. If you close after that you must email them as well and provide a good reason.

2) 95% of L4 misconduct is done through the WGS still. It comes onto MOAS at L3. However, professional youth league games are done on MOAS at L4.

3) Your supply league won't have a post match report form on MOAS. You will however have to confirm the game as completed on MOAS. If you don't do this, an observer will be unable ti start entering their report.

1) They ask for closed dates to be in within a few days of the appointments coming out for the next month. So say the appointments for August come out on the 21st June, they would want all your closed dates for September in by the 23rd/24th. If you close after that you must email them as well and provide a good reason.

2) 95% of L4 misconduct is done through the WGS still. It comes onto MOAS at L3. However, professional youth league games are done on MOAS at L4.

3) Your supply league won't have a post match report form on MOAS. You will however have to confirm the game as completed on MOAS. If you don't do this, an observer will be unable ti start entering their report.
Thanks alot. Makes sense.

By 21st June did you mean July for August apps(not nit-picking, just clarifying) :) I know our assistant appointments were sometimes delayed as waiting for refs to be allocated.

I mean really that works perfectly for me then, provided I keep well on top of it.

Thanks alot. Makes sense.

By 21st June did you mean July for August apps(not nit-picking, just clarifying) :) I know our assistant appointments were sometimes delayed as waiting for refs to be allocated.

I mean really that works perfectly for me then, provided I keep well on top of it.

Yeah! Sorry! No, yeah the appointments can sometimes be out quite late. Yeah just try and keep on top of it and you'll be fine!

Yeah! Sorry! No, yeah the appointments can sometimes be out quite late. Yeah just try and keep on top of it and you'll be fine!
Thanks. I'll set a weekly reminder to update the 5th week each week then, that way will always be as uo to date as possible. I'm tempted just to blast in the weekends as they are a fixed pattern but will see how I go 1st.

Thanks. I'll set a weekly reminder to update the 5th week each week then, that way will always be as uo to date as possible. I'm tempted just to blast in the weekends as they are a fixed pattern but will see how I go 1st.
My situation is slightly different to yours in that I am carrying out observations but my calendar of closed dates is filled through to the end of this calendar year. My advice is, if you know them, close the dates as early as possible.

Reactions: ASM
I'll second what Brian says. If you know you are not available or almost certainly not going to be available, close the date as soon as you can.

I have closed all known personal dates (for birthdays etc) up to the end of next season already as I know them and know that I shouldn't be given a game.

You certainly won't be thanked for closing a date at a late stage when you are allocated games (even when you cannot yet see them in MOAS) and you can expect a rather short/blunt email from an appointment's officer!

My situation is slightly different to yours in that I am carrying out observations but my calendar of closed dates is filled through to the end of this calendar year. My advice is, if you know them, close the dates as early as possible.

I'll second what Brian says. If you know you are not available or almost certainly not going to be available, close the date as soon as you can.

I have closed all known personal dates (for birthdays etc) up to the end of next season already as I know them and know that I shouldn't be given a game.

You certainly won't be thanked for closing a date at a late stage when you are allocated games (even when you cannot yet see them in MOAS) and you can expect a rather short/blunt email from an appointment's officer!

Thanks both. Will get them updated in the morning.

Come into this one late, but here's my views ...

Age - if you are good enough you are old enough. I observed lots of lots of 5-4 candidates last season, the best was an 18 year old in a very challenging game who was absolutely outstanding, the worst was someone in his mid 40s with over 20 years' of refereeing experience who made what should have been an easy game into anything but. Some people just have natural refereeing ability - yes they will make mistakes when they first get to level 4 but arguably it is as well to make them there with people to help and advise than making them on your own at a parks ground where no-one will tell you that you did anything wrong (except for the players ..!). Equally some won't be anywhere near ready at such a young age. I guess my point is you can't generalise, there will be some 19 year old L4s who perform much better in their first season than a 40-something referee with years of experience behind him.

Playing whilst at level 4 or above - as has already been said be very, very careful. If you are going to get sent off then do it for DOGSO or a second yellow, that will probably go unnoticed. Get sent off for OFFINABUS, VC, SFP, etc, then it sure as hell will get noticed and you'll be in real trouble. A level 4 was sent off for headbutting someone in a game and that essentially spelled a very early end to any refereeing ladder promotion aspirations he held. Personally speaking, and with the benefit of hindsight, I didn't look after myself properly when I was at senior levels, and looking back now I would potentially have got higher had I looked after my body better. Marks weren't my problem, staying fit was, so do I now wish I'd stopped playing any kind of football once I got to level 4? The answer is definitely yes.

Administration. Honestly, this will hold you back more than an inability to spot a clear penalty from 10 yards will ..! Get those closed dates onto MOAS now, and for as far in advance as possible. Appointing officers plan ahead, and just because you don't have a notification of a game doesn't mean you don't have a game tentatively scheduled for a certain date. Also, the FA and leagues often struggle over Christmas, New Year and Easter. Don't know if they still do it, but they used to assign provisional appointments on MOAS for Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the Easter bank holidays months ahead of the dates. No use saying to them that you aren't available subsequently as the dates were open on MOAS, and once they've added a provisional appointment you have no way of closing that date other than going cap in hand to the appointments officer and admitting you've messed up.

And how about getting injured?

i'd go the other way on this.

you can get injured doing anything and dont stop doing things you enjoy (yet) for the sake of refereeing

i've been injured during games, during fitness sessions, out jogging, playing football in the last 3 years, all of which kept me out for 2-3 months. i play football and squash to help keep me fit along with going out for runs and general fitness training. sure i might get injured doing it, but knowing my luck i'm just as likely to get injured walking along the road

my penultimate game as a player was Saturday just gone... cup final.. .nice way to sign off for the club.
I do have one more game planned and thats for a 'cough'...''legends'' team v current team of my original club from 25 years ago.
I've had some close calls with minor injuries in the last couple of years, thankfully none of which has really interfered with the reffing, but i dont want a situation where i have to miss weekends unnecessarily. Having said that i still run, play two forms of tennis, squash and racketball, all of which can cause injury i know, but all the bad ones have been related to football.
Fractured wrists (twice), fractured ribs (twice in the space of 6 weeks), knee cartilage damage, snapped ankle ligament, plus all the usual stuff... groins, calfs, hammys.
However.. the worst one i had was sustained while planting flowers at my mum's grave where i twisted awkwardly and did my back in ... had to literally roll to the car and get myself home... kept me out for weeks that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back