A&H

Lightning during the game

Tom_R

Level 5 Referee
Lightning is forecast during my game today. I’m assuming stop play and abandon the game if there is. Is this right?

The Referee Store
Don't necessarily have to abandon.

You should suspend the match and take cover in a building or non convertible car. Do not take cover under a tree or anything like that, that could also be struck and create a danger.

Think the advice is to wait 30 minutes after the last thunder before resuming outdoor activity

If weather shows no sign of improving then abandonment should be considered.

If you have concerns about thunder & lightning you should speak to both teams before hand to agree what should happen in the event of it occurring in the game so everyone knows what to do.

As above, put very simply:

When You See Lightning, Count The Time Until You Hear Thunder. If That Is 30 Seconds Or Less, The Thunderstorm Is Close Enough To Be Dangerous – Seek Shelter (if you can't see the lightning, just hearing the thunder is a good back-up rule). Wait 30 Minutes Or More After The Lightning Flash Before Leaving Shelter.

This is quite interesting.

I was watching an isthmian league game a couple of weeks back and there was lots of thunder (even a few bits as the teams were walking out) and the game was played through with no stoppages.

If you wait 30 minutes after the storm has passed (and add on the time suspended during the storm), you're abandoning on every occasion, because there's a significant risk of muscle injury when returning to intense exercise following a prolonged suspension

I understand that the referee should be considering abandonment for any suspension longer than 30 minutes with no subsequent immanent possibility of resuming play

Back