A&H

Linesman/Referee Appointments

WalterPinkman

Hi,

I have seen on here that some people put how many games they have refereed and been on the line. I was just interested into how you get fixtures as a linesman and if you need to do another course to become a linesman?

Thanks.

The Referee Store
Hi Ben.

When you complete the referee course, you are a linesman. You should have been taught about the Role of the AR on course.

All appointments are made through your FA's Referee Appointments Secretary. If you want to run the line a few times, let him/her know. Subsequently. Let him/her know if you'd rather just be the referee. :) Being an assistant referee can be a good way to learn; by watching the more experienced level 3/4 referee, you would be surprised how much you pick up and learn.

Hi Ben.

When you complete the referee course, you are a linesman. You should have been taught about the Role of the AR on course.

All appointments are made through your FA's Referee Appointments Secretary. If you want to run the line a few times, let him/her know. Subsequently. Let him/her know if you'd rather just be the referee. :) Being an assistant referee can be a good way to learn; by watching the more experienced level 3/4 referee, you would be surprised how much you pick up and learn.
Great, thank you

Our local supply league use L7's on the line, not sure if that is a common theme accross the country, but if it is, it is a fantastic opportunity to work at that level (L4 middle) working as part of a team of 3 and recieving regular feedback as most games seem to be assessed (certainly down here they do anyway).
They try and put us on 1 game a month and the other 3 Saturdays you are free to referee your local leagues.

I thoroughly enjoy that one game a week.

We also have an U'18 county floodlit league as well, where the middle is a L5 and two AR's as well, again i guess this will vary from county to county.

I have done a few lines for my local supply league, thanks to the recommendation of @lincs22. He got me the name/email of the ref sec and after that it was a case of emailing the details.

@Ben Knipe - Hi Ben,

You currently cannot act as an AR on open age football until you turn 16. Nearly all leagues will use L7's on their lines, some CFA have more use for them.
However, I would caution you at starting on your 16th birthday. This is adult football, so can be very demanding. If supply league football, then the L$ will be relying on you for all offsides, etc.

I would suggest that see if your local youth football requires AR's for their semi-finals. It will give you some experience before OA football.
U-18's would also be a good start, or academy football - local FL teams are always looking for young AR's for their U12, U13, U14. Ask your RDO for their advice.

@Ben Knipe speak to Andy Porter or Adrin Shorter and thy will point you in the right direction.

I'd also suggest (strongly) you ask them for details of the London FA Referee academies. These are excellent opportunities for refs to develop, with professional football academies and you are under the supervision of assessors and ex professional refs, inc those that are reffing today at L1 downwards.

Or drop me a PM and I'll pass your details on - I've been through their system and have seen young guys get to the Football League. It's hard work, but the rewards are worth it - and it maybecome a carer for you, not just a hobby!

Hi Ben,
From personal experience i can tell you to hold off a bit until you have a bit of experience, good advice @lincs22. I rushed into being an AR for my local supply league a couple of months after turning 16. I have had experience as and AR before which helps a lot. But overall you are only one who knows what you are capable of and if you think you can handle it go for it. Its a good way to learn,
All the best

Back