A&H

Liverpool v Soton

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
Did anybody else think Bobby Madley shoudl have caution Forster for USB at the penalty?

Getting into Milner's face and marking the penalty spot! lack of support from his collegues as behind his back?

The Referee Store
Oh for sure, was completely puzzled at the time as to why he didn't - he's literally stood in front of him as he does it and clearly sees him speaking to Milner. Bizarre.

Probably because he doesn't actually mark the penalty spot? From what I saw on MOTD last night he drags his foot in front of Milner, who is stood slightly in front of the spot........

Also mentioned on another thread, but should be here really.

Southampton manager said afterwards Liverpool GK should have been sent off if handball against him had been given.

Would liked to have asked him which of the 7 possible dismissal offences it was - certainly not DOGSO for me.

Still USB though didn't you think?

What? Getting into Milners head is USB?

Not for me.....although Madley could have been more proactive at ensuring Forster was back in his correct position.....from what I saw, Madley completely ignored Forster as he was too busy cautioning another player for something.
If he had instructed Forster to retreat and he didn't then maybe a caution is appropriate.......

Not for me.....although Madley could have been more proactive at ensuring Forster was back in his correct position.....from what I saw, Madley completely ignored Forster as he was too busy cautioning another player for something.
If he had instructed Forster to retreat and he didn't then maybe a caution is appropriate.......

Yes fair enough, see where you're coming from and TBF Milner said it didn't bother him and was no excuse for missing pen.

Also mentioned on another thread, but should be here really.

Southampton manager said afterwards Liverpool GK should have been sent off if handball against him had been given.

Would liked to have asked him which of the 7 possible dismissal offences it was - certainly not DOGSO for me.
This does not help:
Dermott Gallagher on Sky
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10868646/ref-watch-red-card-for-mignolet

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Wrong decision

DERMOT SAYS:

He was deliberately handling the ball outside the area, so he would have got a red card.

Id be hard pressed to call dogso here - im not even sure the attacker would be 1st to the ball for an opportunity nevermind obvious.

Still USB though didn't you think?
Looks like a case could reasonably be made for "verbally distracts an opponent [...] at a restart" to me.
DERMOT SAYS:

He was deliberately handling the ball outside the area, so he would have got a red card.
Wow, just wow. I had to go and look at the article, just to make sure that he didn't make some reference to a possible DOGSO offence but he doesn't. For a former referee to claim that a goalkeeper should get a red card simply for deliberately handling the ball outside the area, without any hint of it being a DOGSO offence, is shocking.

Last edited:

Although you can argue AA, I agree that it would have been a bit much to go straight to the pocket for that. But I think proactive refereeing would dictate that you should try and keep the keeper and taker separate as much as possible. Milner is a very calm person, so he kept focused, but he could easily have taken offence to being approached like that and started a pushing match. And I don't know why Milners teammates weren't more bothered by their penalty taker being intimidated.

Another set of teammates or a more volatile penalty taker and Madely might have had a mass con to deal with. And all because he had his head down in his notebook issuing another caution and wasn't aware of what was going on behind him. Assistant should have been in his ear yelling at him to turn round as well.

Back