A&H

Lost your man and manager on the pitch

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
1) Had a nightmare scenario today. Clear DOGSO after a 1on1 situation ends up with the striker being kicked out from behind. Straight after this, a few players run in and there's a bit of pushing and shoving to which I realise that I've lost the man who made the challenge! I notice the captain isn't part of the 'scuffle' so I have a word and ask him the offenders name and luckily, once the offender sees I'm chatting to him, walks over. How would you deal with a situation where you've lost he man like that?

2) Just after all this, the red carded player walks off and as I turn around, the manager is right in front of me (I'm currently stood in the penalty area and he was running the line). He starts arguing the decision saying I'm not allowed to give a double punishment and that I should learn the rules. I threanted to abandon the game if he doesn't leave the pitch immediately. Have you ever had a scenario like this?

The Referee Store
Yes, and it is a horrible experience. I had it in a contrib game where I was being assessed, clear DOGSO but I lost the offender. Spoke to active assistant who didn't know either, and staring daggers at the non active assistant didn't help either. I then remembered something I'd heard at a meeting, so I pulled out my notebook making sure the yellow side faced everyone and shouted "yes please". Heart in mouth time, but the offender walked out, and fair to say he wasn't happy when the notebook disappeared and the red came out of my back pocket. To this day I have no idea what I would have done if no one came forward.

In terms of the manager, think we've all had those. All you can do is tell him he has committed an offence by coming onto the pitch and that if he doesn't leave there will be repercussions.

Yes, and it is a horrible experience. I had it in a contrib game where I was being assessed, clear DOGSO but I lost the offender. Spoke to active assistant who didn't know either, and staring daggers at the non active assistant didn't help either. I then remembered something I'd heard at a meeting, so I pulled out my notebook making sure the yellow side faced everyone and shouted "yes please". Heart in mouth time, but the offender walked out, and fair to say he wasn't happy when the notebook disappeared and the red came out of my back pocket. To this day I have no idea what I would have done if no one came forward.

I tried that earlier this season (for a caution admittedly) for a similar tackle but not DOGSO. Eventually it dawned on the team offended against that I hadn't a clue and their captain shouted over 'for C-t's sake ref it was number 5.' Cue number 5 looking sheepish and me calling him over. 'You can't book him now ref - you hadn't a clue!' Cue my bullshit response I was just calming everything done first - I'm doing things one at a time with a large grin on my face. I didn't buy it, they didn't buy it, the guy walking his dog who I was yarning with at half time thought it hilarious and without a bit of humour and humility may well have led to a greater than usual loss of match control.

I've never refereed with neutral assistants but imagine I'd be fairly peeved if one of them couldn't help me.

1: You lucked out a bit here, but there's no guarantee that the player that walked over was even the offender. Pay attention to the number, or if you can't see the number, go by boots. I know it sounds silly but if a player has good a certain pair of boots on, it can jog your memory. It's unlikely that anyone else would have the same pair on as well.

2: Be careful about threatening abandonment, you'll look weak if you don't follow it up. I would take the managers name and dismiss him from the general vicinity of the field of play. If he refuses to go, try and get the captain or someone with authority and a cool head in that team to help you out. If he's still refusing to go, then threaten abandonment.

1) I've had this happen with violent conduct - and this was real, real nasty too. NAR was useless.
If you have NAR's you can ask them for help. But all I can say is - take this as a lesson. Do not lose sight of your player - and/or think of something distinctive. If you have something to deal with, maybe quickly grab out your notebook and write his number down. Heck, write it on your hand. Deal with the melee, then go back to it.

2) Did you remove the manager from the vicinity of the FOP? He's committed 2 offences - entering the FOP and abusing you. No roadblocks for him, it's see you later.

I had a game where two players tangled legs and fell to the floor. Suddenly they were violently hitting and choking each other round the face. Within seconds the whole of both teams, including both technical areas, were leaping into a major melee. It was not a fight as such, just attempting to pull the original fighters apart.

I had no NARS and stood there alone, watching and whistling. The sad thing was it had all happened so quickly (in a game generally good tempered) that I had no idea of EITHER of the two players involved. I watched as they all disentangled, but looking at a bunch of disheveled muddy players, gave me no clue as to who had started it.

This was quite early in my refereeing career, and I was at a total loss as to what to do. I knew if I did nothing I would lose all credibility. So, by instinct I followed the line some of you have already mentioned. I put on a stern expression, took my book out, and called out: "alright: both of you, over here. NOW!"

Luckily two players walked over a bit sheepishly. I showed them each a red card. Rest of the game was a breeze.

I had a game where two players tangled legs and fell to the floor. Suddenly they were violently hitting and choking each other round the face. Within seconds the whole of both teams, including both technical areas, were leaping into a major melee.

I've had one where both players were at it for a full two minutes. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt and both teams did well to separate the two, but it was over a nothing challenge. One player carelessly tripped one player, he got up and then deliberately tripped him back. They then squared up, and if they stopped there they'd have both had a caution and nothing more. Of course the guy who was deliberately tripped swings for the other bloke, and the other bloke pins him to the floor. They both grab each others shirts and batter each other for a full two minutes.

Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt, mainly because the players were so close to each other nobody could get a swing in. But it was such a bizarre incident.

Only one that tops it is when I had to abandon a game when a sub came on without permission from the player manager who was on the field. Manager tells him to get back because he hasn't authorized the sub, player tells him to go f*** himself, then it all kicks off. The home team rush to separate them both, they manage to get separated. Sub kicks off again and the manager chases him. The sub runs to the changing rooms and the manager follows him inside, followed by the team and all their spectators. Game abandoned.

The away team managers missus, who was pregnant, was caught up in the middle of it (unintentionally I might add, although that doesn't make it right). Her husband seemed more concerned with "will we get the points ref?" Than her well-being.

Back