A&H

Low winter sun

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Any tricks for dealing with low winter sun? A lot of grounds and pitches I visit have no stands or anything to shield it so I struggle to see half the time!

The Referee Store
It can be very tricky, as can sunset in the evening. If I'm on my own I will forget all premise of any kind of diagonal and try to position myself so that I'm looking away from the sun as often as possible. With neutral ARs it isn't that easy, and even worse if you are on the line looking into the sun, all you can really do is try to use your hand to shield your eyes.

My match coach was very specific on this. Aside from 'being in the best position to make the best decision'.

It always makes sense to push very hard to keep the sun at your back. So if play goes to the side line, it can be worth pushing hard to get where you would expect your assistant referee to stand. if that means you aren't staring directly into the sun.

I did notice a good improvement for the second half, doing this. No awkward hand over my face, and no shadow figures doing things, that I am not a 100% on (not that I am ever 100%).

It can be very tricky, as can sunset in the evening. If I'm on my own I will forget all premise of any kind of diagonal and try to position myself so that I'm looking away from the sun as often as possible. With neutral ARs it isn't that easy, and even worse if you are on the line looking into the sun, all you can really do is try to use your hand to shield your eyes.
I seem to end up with this fun job of being on the line looking in to the sun every time run the line at this time of year!

Back