A&H

Made to feel awful

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Done an adults game this morning and literally came off feeling low/down.
Not because I had a bad game, I don't think I did. I dont even think I got much wrong if at all (can't really say I was perfect).

But the abuse I got during the game.

The game ended with 5 yellow cards, and 2 reds - 1 after the game.
2 of the yellows were for fouls. 3 for dissent. 1 red for DOGSO and the other, after the game, for telling me "f*** off" 4 times in a row so the whole field can hear it.

That last one came as his team lost 1-0.
The DOGSO came from a foul right on the edge. The losing team being fouled.
Player landed just in side but the foul was definitely outside. I was close enough to be 110% positive of it.
The red was clear. Yellow for dissent by fouled player for him running to me and shouting at me. Not enough for it to be foul, abusive or offensive to me but enough to be a caution for dissent.
Time was up at this point where I allowed the kick. Hit the wall and it cleared to half way when I blew for full time. Player ran about 20 yards to me to swear at me and I said it was out the area (he swore whilst telling me it was in because that's where he landed). He then told me f off.

I must sat, for this next part, I do have a front tooth missing due to a previous assault that I haven't replaced. I had 2 people (could be anyone, fan or official as was just local league park football) take aim at my appearance.

This has put a massive dampener on my day.

The Referee Store
Sadly these games come along occasionally - happily they are rare.
You did nothing wrong, so just report the yellows, reds, and misconduct to the appropriate authority (CFA if in England) and to the league secretary and/or appointments secretary - the latter so they appoint accordingly and know what to expect from the losing team.
Chin up, chest out, on to the next game.

Not because I had a bad game, I don't think I did. I dont even think I got much wrong if at all (can't really say I was perfect).

2 of the yellows were for fouls. 3 for dissent. 1 red for DOGSO and the other, after the game, for telling me "f*** off" 4 times in a row so the whole field can hear it.

Player landed just in side but the foul was definitely outside. I was close enough to be 110% positive of it.
The red was clear. Yellow for dissent by fouled player for him running to me and shouting at me. Not enough for it to be foul, abusive or offensive to me but enough to be a caution for dissent.
Time was up at this point where I allowed the kick. Hit the wall and it cleared to half way when I blew for full time. Player ran about 20 yards to me to swear at me and I said it was out the area (he swore whilst telling me it was in because that's where he landed). He then told me f off.

I must sat, for this next part, I do have a front tooth missing due to a previous assault that I haven't replaced. I had 2 people (could be anyone, fan or official as was just local league park football) take aim at my appearance.

Dont worry I had this as well first mens game I did as a friendly my first season. Remember there will always be bad games but if you sludge through you get to experience the good games which are absoutely fanastic and will turn this into something you utterly enjoy doing.

Not sure if you drive, so, you been on lots of holidays?

15 out of 20 run to plan, everything on time, the lot

3 of them might have unexpected bonuses, free upgrade to first class or hotel suite or something

the other 2, your luggage goes missing, planes delayed, hotel room has ants, you get food poisening, someone loses their passport, car gets a flat on the way, etc

in that two, you have not caused any of it, it just happens.

it does make the next holidays even more rewarding when they go to plan

nobody enjoys the incidents or game you describe. They however are not the reason you referee, they good times are,

few solid calls into your next game, the bad experience be a distant memory

Hope the next one puts a smile back on your face!

Presume you're staying up North for now, no plans to return to sunny Middlesex?:)

Hope the next one puts a smile back on your face!

Presume you're staying up North for now, no plans to return to sunny Middlesex?:)
No plans at all at the moment.
I do miss the constant ability to have a game down south compared to the lack of fixtures here mind.

No plans at all at the moment.
I do miss the constant ability to have a game down south compared to the lack of fixtures here mind.
Ok, yes that's true. Only 'signed up' to 3 comps last season and still managed 64 games, always a game to be done if you want it.

So had my first game following this fixture today and felt a bit better coming off, especially compared to the one I mentioned in the OP.

Had a few cards again though, 3 red (1 straight which I was questioned a lot over) and 3 yellows.
The straight red was for handball on the line.
Corner whipped in at the keeper who misses it and defender on the line stops it from going in using his arm. I personally don't think he meant it deliberately but his arm was in a unnatural position (well away from body) when it hit him. He definitely stopped it from being a definite goal and I felt I had no choice.
Could I have gone yellow? If the game wasn't a bit tasty already I may have done, but I'd already sent off an opponent for 2 yellows, 1st being a defender trying to play the ball, got man but had a covering player within close proximity to not make it DOGSO (ironically I got told I was wrong then) and then he kicked the ball away by a good 10 yards once the ball had already gone out of play (and he knew it had too) by a couple yards if not more. He couldn't even claim momentum done it.
Other red was also for a 2nd yellow. 1st was persistent fouling although could have got it on that foul alone, got a very stern public talking 2 minutes later as he committed another silly foul and thought an off the ball foul was OK.

For me, all cards good, game went well, and still got paid at the end with a few handshakes.

Should add, the players felt the decision to send off for handball was also wrong in law stating double jeopardy. I had to explain that only applies to genuine attempts to win the ball. And handball is not counted as this.
They then tried to argue it was already in and therefore a goal should be awarded.
They saved the penalty.

Last edited:
Back