A&H

Match Fees - All Levels

Not sure how Portaferry continues to function as a community. It doesn't appear to have grown or changed significantly since I first remember visiting back in '71 (6 weeks in a tiny house on one of the streets leading away from the ferry port) up to last summer's visit when I took my son back to show him some of the places where I'd grown up.
Brian the pubs keep it going, no jobs and anyone who does work has to travel to Ards, Belfast or further afield, but good football team!

The Referee Store
You don't have to take it if you don't want to? You could not charge them travel etc if you feel it is too much for them to pay?
That's what I've started doing sometimes now - as you'll know you start to get to know teams well and when they're genuinely struggling I don't see any harm in giving them a bit of leeway. However few referees I talk to agree with me and maybe I'm talking from the very fortunate perspective of someone with a good, well paid job who does this for the craic and a reason to train a few nights a week.

That's what I've started doing sometimes now - as you'll know you start to get to know teams well and when they're genuinely struggling I don't see any harm in giving them a bit of leeway. However few referees I talk to agree with me and maybe I'm talking from the very fortunate perspective of someone with a good, well paid job who does this for the craic and a reason to train a few nights a week.

Unfortunately, there are way too many out there who do it for the coin and will charge every penny they can get! I understand that they may need it through no fault of their own, but I can guarantee they aren't training a few nights a week! A walk round the centre circle and money in the pocket for them! :rage:

Unfortunately, there are way too many out there who do it for the coin and will charge every penny they can get! I understand that they may need it through no fault of their own, but I can guarantee they aren't training a few nights a week! A walk round the centre circle and money in the pocket for them! :rage:
I know - can be very lucrative for some - youth match on Friday night (£30), double header on a Saturday morning (2x£30 / £35 for u-18) and an adult match on Saturday afternoon (£40 + travel). No wonder clubs complaining some referees blowing out of their backsides come half time on a Saturday afternoon!

Eh I know one referee who does two Friday night £60 two Saturday morning £60 one Saturday afternoon £60 plus expenses and one Sunday £50 so in total he earns around £230+ each weekend...he runs like he is in treacle and whenever I come across teams who he is doing or has done they do nothing but complain. Best about it is he freely admits he is only interested in it for the money!

Interestingly, when i did my course a couple of years ago the reason quite a few of the younger people on the course gave for wanting to be a referee was for the money.

T
Interestingly, when i did my course a couple of years ago the reason quite a few of the younger people on the course gave for wanting to be a referee was for the money.
Do come across a lot more students for example - 8 hour shift in Micky D's or 2 hours of football time. No brainer in the £££££ sense.

Back