A&H

Midseason promotion

The Referee Store
I think we had 1 or 2 here. Someone normally posts a full list but not this year.

Think this will be the 1st Jan - Dec promotions so could be normal numbers or it could be a minimal amount.

Geography plays a part too. Id be surprised if more than 1 or 2 got up down this way, currently L3s are getting maybe 1 or 2 games a month. I've had 1 line and 4 middles since August. 1 middle to go this month and lost one to FA Trophy last month.. either we need some upward movement to make room or appointments will be reduced further if too many are promoted.

L4 games have struggled for refs at times as well as I have picked up some step 5/6 games to cover my free Saturdays.

I think we had 1 or 2 here. Someone normally posts a full list but not this year.

Think this will be the 1st Jan - Dec promotions so could be normal numbers or it could be a minimal amount.

Geography plays a part too. Id be surprised if more than 1 or 2 got up down this way, currently L3s are getting maybe 1 or 2 games a month. I've had 1 line and 4 middles since August. 1 middle to go this month and lost one to FA Trophy last month.. either we need some upward movement to make room or appointments will be reduced further if too many are promoted.

L4 games have struggled for refs at times as well as I have picked up some step 5/6 games to cover my free Saturdays.

Work and life in general make level 3 a very difficult prospect fir me even if I was to get promoted (and I'm certainly not ready for that yet). The thing I've loved more than anything since becoming a level 4 this season is the amount of games I've got. All the level 3s I've lined for this year have said how few games they've got (and yes I know ow they can pick up others like yourself) but to go from 3 games a week (not including Sunday League etc) to maybe 1 every ten days wouldn't work for me. I'm just booking my second holiday of the season to the Canaries 😆

They've just told RDOs that they are accepting nominations for mid-season. If you've met the criteria by 31st Dec, your county needs to send details by 9th Jan. They will make decisions on 16th Jan.

Does anybody know how many got promoted mid season last year from
4 - 3??
53 - here is the list with FAs. A fond personal memory ...

Step 5/6 to Step 3/4 Referee & Step 3/4 to Step 2 Assistant Referee (Level 4 to Level 3) (53)

Elliot Bell Liverpool FA
Mark Bell Durham FA
Daniel Blades Kent FA
Martin Bloor Hampshire FA
Tommy Breen London FA
Joshua Brookland Herefordshire FA
Peter Brown Manchester FA
Devon Campbell Devon FA
Emily Carney Lancashire FA
Harry Chambers Devon FA
Luke Chapman Surrey FA
Samuel Clayton Sheffield & Hallamshire FA
Morgan Conn London FA
Gary Connell Hertfordshire FA
Joe Cunningham Manchester FA
Andrew Daniels Lancashire FA
Joseph Dann-Pye Kent FA
Deryll David London FA
Peter Dingle Sussex FA
Karl Donaghey Leicestershire & Rutland FA
Kieran Downey Durham FA
Daniel D'Urso Sussex FA
Daniel Frizzell Oxfordshire FA
Wayne Gray Nottinghamshire FA
Minesh Gupta Leicestershire & Rutland FA
Chay Hathway Suffolk FA
David Hinton Birmingham FA
Simon Kavanagh Birmingham FA
Alexander Kyriacou Essex FA
Derrick Laing Surrey FA
Haydn Lavender Gloucestershire FA
Thomas Maher Army FA
Colin Mcnulty Gloucestershire FA
Jordan Mcritchie Somerset FA
Adam Merchant Surrey FA
Said Ouchene Somerset FA
Samuel Olhausen Berks & Bucks FA
Callum Peter Surrey FA
Jason Porter Birmingham FA
Fabio Roque Essex FA
Ian Ruddock Lincolnshire FA
Alex Sawden Lincolnshire FA
Brandon Scaife Staffordshire FA
Antony Smith Hampshire FA
Liam Smith North Riding FA
Louis Smith Cheshire FA
Adam Steele Hertfordshire FA
Steven Swan Northamptonshire FA
Ollie Taylor Somerset FA
Michael Trevethan West Riding FA
Daniel Tyas Liverpool FA
Richard Wharton Hertfordshire FA
Chris Williams Surrey FA

I don't think its worth looking at historic... Requirements change each year. Expect a bucket load 5-4 this year as there seems to be a shortage, especially down here things seem awful tight whereas I can't see many 4-3 as there appears to be too many, depending on any upwards movement, of course.

Agree it is bound to be different this year. Last year mid-season had catch-up from no promotions at all during COVID and gaps caused by referees deciding not to return to the fold (plus what I have seen, which is many more referees deciding to have a better balance and close more dates, including weekends)

I would also expect regional nuances - e.g. the South East still seems short of both level 3s and level 4s. There have been plenty of Step 4 games this season refereed by level 4s, even recently, and some weeks where a high proportion of the Step 5 fixtures in some leagues have been refereed by L5s. A L4 refereeing a Step 6 game is unheard of

Agree it is bound to be different this year. Last year mid-season had catch-up from no promotions at all during COVID and gaps caused by referees deciding not to return to the fold (plus what I have seen, which is many more referees deciding to have a better balance and close more dates, including weekends)

I would also expect regional nuances - e.g. the South East still seems short of both level 3s and level 4s. There have been plenty of Step 4 games this season refereed by level 4s, even recently, and some weeks where a high proportion of the Step 5 fixtures in some leagues have been refereed by L5s. A L4 refereeing a Step 6 game is unheard of
We have been a bit the other way in the south west. Lucky to receive 2 appointments a month and there was a period in Aug / Sep where 3s were covering step 5 & 6. Ive refereed an equal number of step 3/4 games as I have step 5 and below.

I've clambered to the top 10% on the annual assessment merit table after 5 observations, but I'll have only done 7 games and my club marks will stagger around the 50th percentile. I got murdered by a few clubs :mad:

Anyway, don't think I agree with mid-season promo for those of us who've only done 5 months at a new level and there's a 'soft requirement' to have done 10 middles, so I won't be disappointed to wait

I didn't think it was my modus operandi, but I seem to be reffing more according to competencies than doing what the clubs want
(High card count including sin bins etc... emphasis on AOL... not convinced by allowing myself to be groomed by the Observer agenda... always said I wouldn't want to go down that path too much, but it's done now)

Last edited:
I've clambered to the top 10% on the annual assessment merit table after 5 observations, but I'll have only done 7 games and my club marks will stagger around the 50th percentile. I got murdered by a few clubs :mad:

Anyway, don't think I agree with mid-season promo for those of us who've only done 5 months at a new level and there's a 'soft requirement' to have done 10 middles, so I won't be disappointed to wait

I didn't think it was my modus operandi, but I seem to be reffing more according to competencies than doing what the clubs want
(High card count including sin bins etc... emphasis on AOL... not convinced by allowing myself to be groomed by the Observer agenda... always said I wouldn't want to go down that path too much, but it's done now)
If you're good enough time shouldn't hold you back.

You've be surprised at how the clubs want you to referee.

Our clubs have been complaining about refs not using sin bins enough, even for their own teams and that's costing referees club marks.

Ref to Lotg. Ref to competencies. You'll not go too far wrong.

Its no coincidence that in my promotion season I had one of my highest card counts in a season and was one of the highest sin binners. (At 1 point I had done 1/6 of total sin bins in a whole league.) I believe @RustyRef story is very similar.

Our clubs have been complaining about refs not using sin bins enough, even for their own teams and that's costing referees club marks.

Its no coincidence that in my promotion season I had one of my highest card counts in a season and was one of the highest sin binners. (At 1 point I had done 1/6 of total sin bins in a whole league.) I believe @RustyRef story is very similar.
Yeah, in the season I went up I finished top on clubs and assessors, despite having the highest card count in the league, almost as many red cards as games refereed.

Yes, I've binned two players in 5 observations. Easy half a point scored, maybe more if you've had chance to tee it up
I've also cautioned for RP after 2 mins in one game and SPA after 5 mins in another

5 Games = 20 on-field regular cautions, 2 sin bins and 2 TA cautions and 4 PKs

A few of those would've been better handled with a 'talking to' IMO, but the potential for gain through getting the book out far exceeds the potential for loss by managing stuff. Not sure I agree with it all, but I just know (through experience) what to do for the marks

The caution after 2 mins led to a 73.25, so there's a lesson to any hesitant ref even though I think it could've been managed (stepped approach)

The Club Marks are a bit of a head screw tho. You can tell those who think the marks through compared with those who score you exactly the same for everything (expected or whatever) which produces a below par score. I also got hammered by one club even though it was the assistant who they were vexed at. The AR reported the Chairperson for calling him a cheating cyounextweek, which somehow left me with a 65!!!

Last edited:
Yes, I've binned two players in 5 observations. Easy half a point scored, maybe more if you've had chance to tee it up
I've also cautioned for RP after 2 mins in one game and SPA after 5 mins in another

5 Games = 20 on-field regular cautions, 2 sin bins and 2 TA cautions and 4 PKs
My promotion season spanned over 2 due to the COVID curtailments, but for last season I managed 25 games... 90 yellow cards and 10 reds. So you're broadly in line if a little above my season last season...

This season even worse... 10 games 42 yellows and 7 reds and I know for a fact I have at least 1 missed.

I've also managed 3 sin bins at step 5/6 games I have picked up 😬

I think the step up has seen me managing less DRP and the like as the I think the expectation to deal as per law is greater which explains the increase.

Anyway, I digress... Keep it up, you might be a level 3 referee soon, if not at the turn of the new year the end of the season 👍 best of luck

So can Promotions now span over two seasons ?
The marks can yes, any mid-season promotion is based on the previous calendar year's performances (so over two seasons) and any end of season is based on the previous season's performances. Each encompasses roughly 8-9 months of games, though given reclassifications will only occur at the end of seasons, generally expect mid-season promotions to be a lower amount.

The marks can yes, any mid-season promotion is based on the previous calendar year's performances (so over two seasons) and any end of season is based on the previous season's performances. Each encompasses roughly 8-9 months of games, though given reclassifications will only occur at the end of seasons, generally expect mid-season promotions to be a lower amount.

I expect to get my 7-6 at the end season and them go for my 6-5 2023/24 season but worried that with work commitments changing I will be tight on completing all the required fixtures in one season.

I expect to get my 7-6 at the end season and them go for my 6-5 2023/24 season but worried that with work commitments changing I will be tight on completing all the required fixtures in one season.
7-6 and 6-5 are not season-based now - The FA site and probably your CFA website explain the changes which came into force recently.

Back