A&H

My First Game

Dan1882

I've seen a few of these and thought I'd post my thoughts on my first game yesterday.

I arrived 45 minutes before the game was to start and found all 3 pitches at the venue were in use. I checked the board at the clubhouse and noted which pitch I would be on. Having met the home team manager he let me know the pitch we were going to be on was running late but we can kick off straight after they finish.

This threw me off my game a little bit.

I went through my plan and revised my notes before going over to check for jewellery, studs, and shin pads. One lad was missing 2 studs, the coach was able to source a couple for him. It was then that I met my assistants and I ran through that I would use them minimally.

When the game finished I walked the pitch quickly to check for anything dangerous and checked the nets and markings. All was okay as you'd expect having had a game on previously. We done the respect handshake and got the game underway.

The game was uneventful. The first goal was scored on the stroke of half time and I would have blown for half-time there and then had the keeper made a save. I let them kick off and gave them 30 seconds to play out the half. The second half the losing team came back to win 3-1.

I found myself to be ball watching a couple of times on long balls. How does one break this habit?
Was I right to delay the kick-off further to do a pitch inspection when there was a team playing on there just before?

The Referee Store
Well done Dan and yes absolutely always check the pitch, because there may be damage to it following the first game, wee ankle breaker divets etc.

The ball watching is one of those thins you will gain with experience as you try and get into position you will find it happens less and less, just keep moving rather than standing stationary that way you should be heading in the direction of the ball for the challenge etc
Good luck for the season.

Good call for doing your own inspection. The last ref might not have done one so you are covered. You will judge where the ball will land so you can watch the challenge and as A Freethinker says that comes with experience and your positioning will come with it and then you will see the "proper in the back ref!" instead of the hopeful cry of a player who lost the challenge.

Perfect pre match- During a pre match wander about 4 years ago I found an 8 inch kitchen knife half buried. The pitches are used almost continuosly over weekends.

Regardless of level, or grade of ground always have a prematch inspection- you never know.

As for ball watching, concentrate on where it is most likely to land, that is where your next incident will be. You will find yourself moving that way to. It comes with experience.

Even now I find myself admiring a through ball or two . I am better at moving which tends to cover it up!!

Predicting dropping zones is something that comes with experience. Monitor the first few goal kicks/fly kicks and see where they are landing and position yourself accordingly. Does the keeper have a booming kick, or does he struggle to make halfway? Is there a particular player that the teams are always aiming for?

Also, use the players to help you. You will hear when the ball has been kicked, and you don't need to watch it in the air so focus on the players, as they will help to identify where the ball is going to land and therefore where you need to position yourself. It will also mean you can identify any infringements that occur when the ball is in the air.

And yes, absolutely spot on to do a pitch inspection. Don't assume the ref before you has done one.

I was ball watching on my game Sunday evening - fortunately the pitch was strangely very small. I only did 3.5 miles, in a game I would've done double on a full sized pitch!

Predict where the balls going to land, and be around that area. Rather than watching the ball when its 10 foot off the ground, watch for the early niggles around the area where its set to land, as this could lead to a more-serious foul in retaliation when the ball is down.

Back