A&H

New Aussie ref

BlindButFair

Hi everyone,

Glad to have found this forum!

I’m Phil, I’m 45 and from Adelaide, Australia. I am new to reffing - I did a couple of my son’s U8 school matches last year, and this year have done some of his U9 school matches and several of his U8 club matches. Probably around 10 matches in total. I really enjoy it although wish it was easier to debrief after a match (everyone wants to talk about the play rather than the officiating, of course! Or is that a sign of success?!)

I now officially have the bug, have signed up for a level 4 (entry level in Aus) ref course in a month and am looking forward to getting more into it!

The Referee Store
Welcome to the madhouse mate. Good luck in your course.

I'm from Sydney and been around for much longer, both in refereeing and general life ;) :D

Welcome!

I have a distant dream to retire and gently referee my days away on the Sunshine Coast. Can you arrange for refereeing to be added to the immigration vocation list please?!

Welcome Phil. I am Ryan and have just about finished my 5th season refereeing here on the Sunshine Coast. I am finishing grade 12 this year and will probably need to take a break from refereeing as I move to the big smoke for Uni. We will see. It is a great pastime and way to stay connected to the game (I don’t play any longer). There is so much to learn when you are new but you mature age folk tend to have the benefit of life experience and so can pick up many of these skills more quickly. I have been doing senior games for the last couple of years and have really noticed an improvement in my player management since taking on these more complex and dynamic contests. I still have a lot to learn though. A thing that is often mentioned on here is that you generally have more time than you think to make a decision. This is good advice and something that has helped me enormously as I have stepped through the different age groups. Anyway, all the best with your L4 course and on your refereeing journey. There are good days and not so good days, but overall it is a great experience that will boost your fitness, team work skills and resilience. As you have observed, this is a great forum. It can provide the wisdom of many much more experienced referees than me and sometimes, when you just need to get something of your chest, check a decision or response to a key match incident that day it is a very helpful and supportive place to visit. Enjoy.

Back