A&H

New Ref

Brian

Level 9 Referee
Hi all I'm in the middle of the Referee Course in Sheffield and the written exam is on Tuesday just wondering how hard it is ,I've been using areferee.com for revision is that the best thing to do ?
Would love your feedback Cheers

The Referee Store
First of all welcome to the reffing world and all the best with the exam. Areferee is a very good place to start, some would say it can be inaccurate but for the most part it will stand you in good stead- it saw me through my 5 to 4 promotion exam.

Thanks , to be honest I can't wait to get it out of the way and start doing my 6 games I've become obsessed with Areferee! I've been looking through my LOTG book as well. I've just finished playing this season so I thought I'd do the course

I'll take any advice it's most welcome! Just wondering what league do you mostly ref in @Sheffields Finest ive only just finished playing so you might have done one of my games this season

What league did you play in?? I've had a bit of a fallow season this year, 3 long haul holidays and a lingering case of CBA'd...

Works manic at the moment as we've virtually doubled sales in a year.. Not enough days in the week!!! Many far more 'qualified' referees than me on here however I refuse to even tip my hat to any system that would only work against me if i decided to move forward. Football was and is purely for fun for me, 500+ games all ruined apparently!!! :) I don't need the money but i wouldn't do it for nothing!!

I've played in the imperial league for the last 5 years and I'm on the league committee as well also played for Hackenthorpe in the Meadowhall league as well your bound to have reffed me

I've played in the imperial league for the last 5 years and I'm on the league committee as well also played for Hackenthorpe in the Meadowhall league as well your bound to have reffed me
You'll know Darren Roe, and sadly the late Jim Briggs and Chris Cooper then??

Brian, 4-5 years ago I was Chris's secret weapon for the nasty boys games.... Send for Mr B4stard!!!! :devil:

Yes I knew Jim I went to his funeral a few weeks ago very sad I didn't know Chris very well still a sad loss to the league. You are a ref they pick to sort the bad teams out then :)

Yes I knew Jim I went to his funeral a few weeks ago very sad I didn't know Chris very well still a sad loss to the league. You are a ref they pick to sort the bad teams out then :)
I WAS..... Sadly the Imperial let me down big style and they did some very very naughty things!!. Thats for another day!!!

I told them to do one for 3-4 years but still kept seeing Jim Briggs on a few saturday games at the Helipad and Darren Roe, a few of his Angel team are on my FB and were always nagging me to return... I did one game in November and TBF it was a breath of fresh air, really enjoyed it. Good crack. Sadly I never knew till about Chris passing till 12 months ago, I knew he was stepping back but I didn't know why but an aggressive Cancer is a bad way to go.

We used to have many a week night conversation on my card count and how happy he was in a ref standing up to the complete F***wits that were ruining his games...He'd tell me that i was always mentioned in managers meetings!!! Hehehehehe. I was his GO-TO Mike Dean!! A Sheffield Padfoot for the big boys!!!

Last edited:
Don't get jealous Minty, you and your horse are always welcome for a cuppa if you are passing!!

I've just witnessed a bit of a kerfuffle at a Wosh & Vipe Car Wash near Hillsborough, a disgruntled customer was not happy with the £5 jet wash, he verbally kicks off and refuses to pay, gets out of his car gobbing off and so the Sunni Iraqi owner (nice lad) grabs his keys out of his ignition as he was blocking the exit and it then looks a bit tasty for a few minutes, pushing shoving, dropped phones, people being restrained etc. Coppers were called in within 5 mins 2 cop cars turn up with 6 coppers aboard. They split them and the owner points me out as a witness and a loyal customer. Copper comes over and asks me whats gone off, i had a bit of it on my phone video but not the last juicy bit. He said 'Assaults' had been alleged on both parts!! Smiling, I said to him that I was a ref, and it was 'handbags' at best, He asked me 'if i'd dish out any reds' and I said 'No, couple of yellows and a good talking to should do the trick!!' Copper with a sense of humour!! Who knew!! :redcard:

Last edited:
Well I passed the course so can't wait for my 1st game what's the best kit to start with ? I've heard the sondico kit isn't bad to start with , the Nike one just seems a bit expensive to start with .

Well I passed the course so can't wait for my 1st game what's the best kit to start with ? I've heard the sondico kit isn't bad to start with , the Nike one just seems a bit expensive to start with .
Whichever one fits you best, is comfortable in all conditions, keeps your cards/pencil/coin safe, don't make you nipples bleed, doesn't burn a hole in your pocket, washes well and doesn't fade to grey and, doesn't give you a static shock the next time you go near metal.
If that's the Sondico, go for it. You can always get a Nike kit once you're happy this is the job for you.

Back