A&H

New to younger ages - help please

Michael Sawyer

Level 8 Referee
Hi all,

I have been refereeing mens for over 5 years before coming into youth refereeing which I have done u12-u18 for the past 2 years.

I have been asked to referee u8/u9 having never done it before and wondered if any of you could give me some insight to the differences other than the number of players time etc I have heard you need to take a developmental side so show them why it was a foul and a foul throw etc?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

The Referee Store
Not much difference really other than the number of players and time. Only things to remember are:
- halfway retreat rule for goalkicks -stand on halfway and call the players back.
- throw ins - they can look horrendous particularly when they are trying to go long. Just get it taken again and tell them to stand still.
- all fks are direct!
- check your league rule on passbacks and keeper distribution - some say keeper has to throw only some allow kicking.

Have plenty of chat with the players, especially around tackles, often there are a lot of arms and shirt pulls. Plenty of gentle reminder go a long way.

Hi Mike,
You answered the question yourself, you need to help the lads out. At U8 many teams still play like the 'bees around a honeypot' whereby its hectic and the lads look all look lost. A lot of throw ins will be taken illegally, either not thrown correctly or they stray a yard onto the FOP etc... I don't tend to award a foul throw, but go over to the kid and give him a tip to say it needs to go all the way behind the head in one movement then let him through it.

The same goes for free kicks, goal kicks etc - they will likely freeze and wait for your direction before doing anything. When you blow your whistle, everyone will stop immediately so be clear with signals. Have a word with each of the teams before kick off and tell them that you don't want to see them diving on the floor like <insert a premier league diving player here> and tell them if they are on the floor you will assume they need help with something

Parents can be a nightmare at this age group as well. Many are new to the cold weekend mornings and think they are watching the TV - you need to quickly jump on top of any excitable shouts of "COME ON REF" that come your way. Remind them that your job as referee is to teach them how to play the beautiful game respectfully.

Needless to say you don't use cards either, if a kid loses his head just ask the manager to roll him off to calm him down. And finally, if there are ANY kids down on the floor then stop play straight away and call the coach on... don't look for head injuries or wait for the ball to go out, just stop the match.

An educational referee at this age group is such a special thing; they rarely get ref's that are not just Dads, and when they do you can make a real difference to how much they enjoy football.

Let us know how you get on!

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/pdf/my-football/laws-mini-soccer-5v5-2013-14.ashx (u7 & u8s)
http://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/pdf/my-football/laws-mini-soccer-7v7-2013-14.ashx (u9s & u10s)

To add to what the others have already said, the laws for mini-soccer have been tweaked slightly since it's original creation Throw-ins at 5v5 u7/8s can now also be taken under arm with one or both hands.

Free kicks - 5 yards, back pass law does apply even at this age despite what some coaches think, direct free kick from the edge of the area. No offsides, goal kicks can be taken anywhere within the penalty area (no 6 yard box or equivalent in mini-soccer).

As David says parents can be a total nightmare at this age, but given that you have done u12s-18s for 2 years, this should be a relative walk in the park for you.

Good luck! :)

Strange career path, most start with the baby chabbies and move up to the big chabbies.....Each to his own... and good luck!! :rolleyes:

For U8/9s do you get appointed by a league/association or is it at the request of one of the teams?

@Michael Sawyer - All good advice on here, and with the other threads on similiar subjects.

But if you want to make an impact as a U8/U9 referee, you should:
  • ensure that you card for all relevant offences. How can they learn if the referees take it easy on them. Their stars on the Prem League get cautioned for taking their shirts off after they score, so treat them like their stars. The FA and leageu will appreciate a referee going the job properly and not worrying about it.
  • ensure the spectators only issue words on encouragement. Banish any dad or mum who shows dissent to one of your decisions or the opposition players. Strong referees are what the FA want and what is the best place to start. You will never be referred to as "last weeks referee".
  • Use the loudest whistle you have. Attract attention to all your decisions - make you the focal point of the game. Make refereeing more attractive to the young lads than playing, bringing a whole new group to the refereeing community.
I am sure some will have contrary opinions to this, but we are here first to promote referees...

:wow::wtf::wtf::wtf::p

@Michael Sawyer - All good advice on here, and with the other threads on similiar subjects.

But if you want to make an impact as a U8/U9 referee, you should:
  • ensure that you card for all relevant offences. How can they learn if the referees take it easy on them. Their stars on the Prem League get cautioned for taking their shirts off after they score, so treat them like their stars. The FA and leageu will appreciate a referee going the job properly and not worrying about it.

There's no right and wrong way with regards to using cards so it really is your choice at that age group but just be prepared for the kids bursting into tears when the card comes out, my only advice would be to make sure the manager's know in advance that's what you're going to do as in my experience they might not have experienced it before.
Before I started refereeing I was a parent and will never forget the first game when a ref used cards at U11, the kids, managers and some parents weren't ready for it and the whole atmosphere of the game went downhill rapidly.

Back