A&H

New youth rules

Chrisp72

Always smiling
Thoughts on this please ! Proposed new rules in youth grass roots football
Silent sidelines rule
Spectators are encouraged to applaud both teams (e.g.. clap when a goal is scored) but must not shot or call out. [Law 1]

-Slide tackle rule
On medical advice, no slide tackles are allowed. A free kick will be given in every instance. [Law 12]

-Blue card rule
A blue card is shown for any cautionable offence resulting in a 2 minute Sin Bin (5 minutes at 9v9). [Law 12].

-Respect marks rule
After every match, referees will marks to players, coaches and spectators from both teams. [Law 12]

-Retreat line rule
When goalkeeper has possession, opposition must retreat to halfway. Keeper must pass to own player in own half. [Law 16]

-Pass back rule
Because goalkeepers need to practice their footwork, they cannot pick up the ball from a pass back. [Law 12]

-No instructions rule
Coaches may ask questions that prompt players to think for themselves but must not shout instructions during matches. [Law 1]

-Equal playing time rule
All squad members must receive equal playing time with at least 50% per player for each game. [Law 3]

-All positions rule
All squad members must be given regular experience playing in all positions, including goalkeeper. [Law 3]

-Mixed teams rule
To maximise competition, clubs must field teams of similar ability - ie. not ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams. [Law 3]

-Power play rule
If any team goes 4 goals ahead, the other team may field an extra player until the goal difference is reduced to 3 goals. [Law 3]

-Equal numbers rule
If a team has too few players, the other must lend them willing subs or withdraw players to make hungers even. [Law 3]

The FA introduced their ‘Respect’ campaign almost a decade ago in 2008 with the message ‘good behaviour makes for a great game’.

The Referee Store
Is this some kind of joke? What is the source of this, because some of it is already exists and has done for a number of years, some is unenforceable and the rest simply ridiculous.

Back pass law already exists in youth football, even in mini-soccer as does attacking side retreating to half way line.

FA "silent weekends" already exist, but are rarely respected.

FA "guidelines" on minimum playing time already exist, but few sides follow them.

No sliding tackles? Why not go further and ban all players from going within 2 yards of an opposition player and kits to be replaced by bubble wrap for extra protection!

Power plays with bringing on extra numbers depending of the state of the game? Utterly ridiculous. This is football, not gridiron!

As soon as they start playing 11v11, the laws should be exactly the same as the professional game.

Is this some kind of joke? What is the source of this, because some of it is already exists and has done for a number of years, some is unenforceable and the rest simply ridiculous.

Back pass law already exists in youth football, even in mini-soccer as does attacking side retreating to half way line.

FA "silent weekends" already exist, but are rarely respected.

FA "guidelines" on minimum playing time already exist, but few sides follow them.

No sliding tackles? Why not go further and ban all players from going within 2 yards of an opposition player and kits to be replaced by bubble wrap for extra protection!

Power plays with bringing on extra numbers depending of the state of the game? Utterly ridiculous. This is football, not gridiron!

As soon as they start playing 11v11, the laws should be exactly the same as the professional game.
Correct some do already exist with new proposed mixed in with this . Already in place in some Manchester grassroots leagues with many others apparently set to follow as published in today’s daily mirror

Silent sidelines rule
Spectators are encouraged to applaud both teams (e.g.. clap when a goal is scored) but must not shot or call out. [Law 1]
Extra points are awarded for a fully coordinated Viking Thunderclap but spectators can be cautioned for dissent if they sarcastically clap.

Slide tackle rule
On medical advice, no slide tackles are allowed. A free kick will be given in every instance. [Law 12]
Seriously, slide tackles? Who did they consult for this one? I think the medical advisers would be better served looking at concussion type injuries.

Respect marks rule
After every match, referees will marks to players, coaches and spectators from both teams. [Law 12]
I'm a referee not a social worker. Would I have to write a report to the authorities if I scored someone under 50? Can you see the irony in the only league table published at U7s is a not football-related one but relates to respect and behaviour?

Retreat line rule
When goalkeeper has possession, opposition must retreat to halfway. Keeper must pass to own player in own half. [Law 16]
Why can't a goalkeeper launch it into the opponent's penalty area if he can kick that far? This "rule" implies he's restricted to one particular course of action. Do you have to award a free kick if he plays it to an opponent or play advantage if any accrues?

Pass back rule
Because goalkeepers need to practice their footwork, they cannot pick up the ball from a pass back. [Law 12]
Goalkeepers need to practice their goalkeeping. This law was introduced to eliminate time wasting not to improve the kicking skills of goalkeepers.

No instructions rule
Coaches may ask questions that prompt players to think for themselves but must not shout instructions during matches. [Law 1]
Does this include the use of rhetorical questions, too?

Mixed teams rule
To maximise competition, clubs must field teams of similar ability - ie. not ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams. [Law 3]
There is no competition below the U13 age group. You'd be a genius if you can identify abilities to that degree of accuracy at such a young age. A far better concept is to not label teams which implies order e.g. A or B but use colours or neutral descriptors.

I could go on but I can't be bothered. The whole thing is a mish-mash of existing ideas and blue sky thinking which was been floating around for a number of years. In a nutshell, it's lazy journalism and provides nothing to the arguments for improving football at these levels.

OMG, why have I wasted so much time on this?

There is no competition below the U13 age group. You'd be a genius if you can identify abilities to that degree of accuracy at such a young age.
Great post Yampy, but i do have to disagree here.

I once did Crewe Alexandra u10s and they were something else... I mean, better than 90% of supply league players I referee now for skill and technical ability.

So i suppose it is possible to identify talent below u13s :) its how you harness and develop ot that takes the genius.

Great post Yampy, but i do have to disagree here.

I once did Crewe Alexandra u10s and they were something else... I mean, better than 90% of supply league players I referee now for skill and technical ability.

So i suppose it is possible to identify talent below u13s :) its how you harness and develop ot that takes the genius.
I don't think we're disagreeing but looking at it differently.
Yes, you can pick out the best at an age group and bring them together in various centre of excellences or academies but, I was viewing the grassroots scene where it is nigh impossible to assess the abilities of players from month to month in order to have evenly-balanced contests.
I coached 7-11 years old and I found that players improved and developed (I don't like to view them as regressive) or stagnated at various stages of a season, sometimes from week to week. There's so many factors at play during these ages.
Anyone running a league would have an impossible task rating and ranking teams so that they could provide consistently competitive matches throughout a season.

I don't think we're disagreeing but looking at it differently.
Yes, you can pick out the best at an age group and bring them together in various centre of excellences or academies but, I was viewing the grassroots scene where it is nigh impossible to assess the abilities of players from month to month in order to have evenly-balanced contests.
I coached 7-11 years old and I found that players improved and developed (I don't like to view them as regressive) or stagnated at various stages of a season, sometimes from week to week. There's so many factors at play during these ages.
Anyone running a league would have an impossible task rating and ranking teams so that they could provide consistently competitive matches throughout a season.
Yes I see your point... I was looking more at the viewpoint of that these kids must have been spotted somehow. But your point makes perfect sense.

I think that broadly these are good ideas as most problems in youth football stem from shouting from sidelines from coaches and spectators.
One of the leagues I referee did have the system of referees marking coaches,players and spectators behaviours running for a couple of seasons but no longer do. problem was you completed this on match report form you handed back to each team for them to submit, and this caused argumentative teams to start having a go at you if you marked them low. It also appeared to me that league did not do anything with teams that were consistently marked either low or high. To work needs to be for referee to input themselves onto computer afterwards with a bit of reflection than completing in front of coach immediately after final whistle.

The only one I vaguely like is the respect marks one - in the uni league I ref on we use it, and clubs are essentially threatened with points deductions if they don't sort their act out which seems to work well.

What age groups are we talking about here? Obviously youth, but these rules surely can't be intended to be applied for U15 games as an example.

At the very younger ages, so U11 and below, I agree with most of them. They can learn to slide tackle when they are older, English players come off of their feet far too much so anything to coach that out of them at any early stage can't do any harm. Likewise the retreat line rule will force teams to play out from the back rather than clump it long from the keeper, and that can only help football development.

Some of these rules are already in place in other countries.

What age groups are we talking about here? Obviously youth, but these rules surely can't be intended to be applied for U15 games as an example.

At the very younger ages, so U11 and below, I agree with most of them. They can learn to slide tackle when they are older, English players come off of their feet far too much so anything to coach that out of them at any early stage can't do any harm. Likewise the retreat line rule will force teams to play out from the back rather than clump it long from the keeper, and that can only help football development.

Some of these rules are already in place in other countries.
I suspect these are an enhancement of mini soccer rules which cover U9/U10/U11 I believe (been 4 years since I was involved in tutoring this sector of football).

A steaming turd of an idea.

Where have these ludicrous proposals come from?

Some of the stuff is already implemented via competition rules i.e. equal playing time & equal numbers......but the rest of it is just dribbling nonsense.....no slide tackles, silent sidelines etc etc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171028-140723.png
    Screenshot_20171028-140723.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20171028-140731.png
    Screenshot_20171028-140731.png
    695.5 KB · Views: 13
Back