A&H

Newbie Ref

Davidf

Level 9 Referee
Hi All,
I've just completed the practical course and now need to referee 5 games, then sit the theory test. I've been studying the books and also been on areferee answering the questions but i don't seem to be making much progress with them (getting between 50 - 80% right). Is there anything else i can try?

The Referee Store
Hi All,
I've just completed the practical course and now need to referee 5 games, then sit the theory test. I've been studying the books and also been on areferee answering the questions but i don't seem to be making much progress with them (getting between 50 - 80% right). Is there anything else i can try?
Firstly, welcome to the refereeing family.

Dont put too much pressure on yourself. The referee course teaches you the laws. That's not enough though; you have to understand them in order to apply them properly.

Once you start refereeing games, you will begin understanding. I would certainly advise you to do a few games in pre season on the line for an experienced referee. Lining for a more experienced referee is extremely helpful.

In the meantime, keep doing the quizzes. Areferee.com is a good one, although they can sometimes be a little off. Also, feel free to ask questions on here. Look at scenarios on some Facebook pages, watch the referee on tv instead of the players. Get yourself to your local Referee Association meetings aswell, these helped me massively when I first started out.

Just be aware that there are certain members of this forum who may belittle you when you ask questions. You'll find out who they are very quickly.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard

Does your county operate the mentor scheme? If they do arrange for one to watch one of your games- they will be able to provide feedback and you can also pick their brains for any nagging questions you might have.

Good luck

join your local referee association... members there will undoubtedly a) welcome you in and b) have an in finite amount of wisdom to pass on
bon chance mon brave

Hi I used arefferee and was convinced I would fail but a lot of the questions are designed for a higher level. Keep doing them your knowledge will see you through the test. I got 1 question wrong and found the test easy compared to the questions on the website.

Hi All,
I'm with you on this, I just qualified in July as well, there are a few quizzes online, just keep practising. Also, when you ref games, you get real life practice and then the laws get engrained mentally.

Best of luck

Back