A&H

Newly Passed

Jim Barnett

Morning all

Ive recently passed the first 4 stages of my training with the Essex FA - im not being lined up for my first 5 games (gulp)

Ive got a couple of questions which hopefully you guys can answer:

in terms of kit does it have to be a proper referee kit or will a black shirt, black shorts and socks suffice? Didn't realise how expensive the actual ref equipment is
In terms of player equipment check where do I do this? As teams are warming up?
At the coin toss is it the winner of the toss who decides on who kicks off and ends?

getting a bit nervous I don't mind saying and all these little details seem to have escaped me

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
Morning all

Ive recently passed the first 4 stages of my training with the Essex FA - im not being lined up for my first 5 games (gulp)

in terms of kit does it have to be a proper referee kit or will a black shirt, black shorts and socks suffice? Didn't realise how expensive the actual ref equipment is
At the coin toss is it the winner of the toss who decides on who kicks off and ends?

getting a bit nervous I don't mind saying and all these little details seem to have escaped me

Thanks in advance
I think for your first games what you describe should suffice. However longer term a "proper" kit should be used. What have you looked at. If you have looked at the nike kits then they are quite expensive. But bear in mind its all paid back after a few games... your first five will give you 100 quid (ish) if not more and with careful research you can get the basics for arou d that figure, maybe a little less.
Equipment check can be done any time. I like to do it just before kick off. Let managers know when you want team ready to start allowing time for this to be completed. 5-10 mins before kick off time should suffice.

Finally, whenevr you have a question regarding the laws I would suggest that you first check the laws of the game for he answer. If you are still stuck come and ask. However, at the toss the winner chooses ends and the loser kicks off.

Morning all

Thanks in advance
In terms of kit there is very little to no guidance around what referees wear I believe but first impressions count. Would get a proper top though even if it isn't one of the expensive ones, try gumtree or ebay etc for a used one perhaps. Shorts need pockets but plain black wouldn't be a problem. No flashy boots ideally just black also.
Equipment check prearrange with managers so they know its coming, when you get to ground find out who and where they are, have a chat, find out how many players they have and just mention you will need a line and to do a check of equipment about 10 minutes before kick off.
Whoever wins the toss decides which way to kick, other team kicks off first.

Thanks for the replies guys - agree fully Top Cat about first impressions counting. I went for the RA starter kit including flags - you're absolutely right about the kit being paid off after my first few games

First impressions count however it isn't worth the investment if you decide to stop refereeing after a couple of games (you'd be surprised how common this is). I'd suggest you do your first 5 in what you describe, keep the match fee's and if you're still interested in refereeing afterwards us the fee's and invest in the kit.

In regards to equipment checks, its your preference where you do this. Some refs will go into changing rooms, some will do it on the warm up and some will do it as the players are leaving the changing rooms - try all three and decide what you like.

Finally, as defined in the LOTG, the winner of the coin toss decides which side they'll start on - they don't have an option for kick off or picking a side, it's a static "which side do you want" every time, the loser takes ko.

Most importantly, enjoy it!

First impressions count however it isn't worth the investment if you decide to stop refereeing after a couple of games (you'd be surprised how common this is). I'd suggest you do your first 5 in what you describe, keep the match fee's and if you're still interested in refereeing afterwards us the fee's and invest in the kit.

In regards to equipment checks, its your preference where you do this. Some refs will go into changing rooms, some will do it on the warm up and some will do it as the players are leaving the changing rooms - try all three and decide what you like.

Finally, as defined in the LOTG, the winner of the coin toss decides which side they'll start on - they don't have an option for kick off or picking a side, it's a static "which side do you want" every time, the loser takes ko.

Most importantly, enjoy it!
Thanks Boulder - ive got to be honest im starting to brick it a little! Im 35 but im worried that with a load of adults all around me im going to crumble :eek:( First night nerves I guess - ill be going through my laws of the game with a fine tooth comb this week!!!

Thanks Boulder - ive got to be honest im starting to brick it a little! Im 35 but im worried that with a load of adults all around me im going to crumble :eek:( First night nerves I guess - ill be going through my laws of the game with a fine tooth comb this week!!!
Hardest thing to do but most beneficial is to take a second before making a decision even on throw ins when feels like everyone is watching you. Also in general get behind the ball when you can.

Best of luck! Remember, don't let on that it's your first match - as far as the players know, you could have been doing this for years. They'll feed on any nervousness and use that to try and manipulate you, so most importantly, stay confident in your decisions!

If they ask if you are new or never seen you before ref, just say I have been reffing in mainly (neighbouring county). If you look confident and act confident you will be fine. Just remember cards are there for a reason use when you need to.

If it turns out to be a thrashing they are usually the easiest games if anything.

Enjoy it definitely and hopefully it will be a nice gentle easing into refereeing rather than a baptism of fire. But a word of advice, never ever ever go into a game with any expectation of the outcome or intensity. I mean don't switch off, drop your concentration or expect it to be a given easy game. They are the ones that surprise you the most.

Treat it like any other game (I'm well aware this is your first game). Just be yourself and set a routine for yourself that you will surely tweak, change and modify over what hopefully will be a long and successful career as a referee. All the best and do tell us how it went afterwards.

Last edited:
I don't think in the last two years i ever bothered even handing my flags out, nobody wanted to do it or the ones that did didn't have an actual clue about whose active and all that. They stayed in the bag or car.. it was safer that way!! Players saw a CARs flag and stopped automatically and did not wait for my signal that he's right or wrong. They were usually wrong too....

Good luck though, always good to ask advice and not assume you know it all from day one!

Thanks all for your messages of support and advice- the chairman of my local league did say he would be looking for something to ease me in with but I definitely won't be taking anything for granted with regards to their league positions. I'm taking my laws of the game book to bed every night and going over and over law 12

Thanks all for your messages of support and advice- the chairman of my local league did say he would be looking for something to ease me in with but I definitely won't be taking anything for granted with regards to their league positions. I'm taking my laws of the game book to bed every night and going over and over law 12
If, impossible as it sounds, you get bored reading the laws... check some quizzes at http://areferee.com/soccer.php They can be sneaky and hard but gets you thinking.
And enjoy it. I started at 39 and my first matches were with 9 year olds and I was totally queezy. It's human an natural to get a bit nervous. Just take your time. Think. Enjoy.

Just on the coin toss - my pea brain got confused when I started because the "winner" doesnt get to choose kick off (I was obviously never captain playing days). So i started doing it a way I overheard a more senior ref do it.

- if they "win" I say "you kick off the second half and which goal are you going to defend first?"
- if they "lose" I say "ok you kick off" turn to the other team "which goal do you want to defend"

Back